WiFi Issue, handsets drop network every hour

pete@ica.co.uk

WiFi Issue, handsets drop network every hour

Post by pete@ica.co.uk »

Can some one help please?
I have a WiFi Isuue where by the MIPT handsets are on a Extricom WifI controller and net work we have an Alcatel/Spectra link SVP server.
There are 30 Alcatel 310/Spectra link 8020 handsets

The Alcatel enterprise and SVP server details
The Enterprise software level R9.0 h 1.301.24
The SVP Sever software level 17x.028
The binaries have been checked and are the same if the patch level was upgraded.

The fault is that the MIPT handsets drop off the WiFi Net work every hour, it seems the Extricom server asks for indentification or a goup key? (we are using WPA) as every device that joins or leaves the network (it is also being used for data)would trigger a request.
The Extricom unit sends out an EAPOL packet, if the units do not respond (which the phones are not doing) they get dropped from the network.
This I'm sure is not an Alcatel Enterprise or SVP Server issue, it seems to be a Extricom to MIPT issue.
If any one has a solution I would be most greatful.
Shotz

Re: WiFi Issue, handsets drop network every hour

Post by Shotz »

Did you ask Alcatel-Lucent if this solution has been certified? With all of the components in this infrastructure? (Not the LAN switches)

Are you doing some sort of 802.1X (EAP-TTLS, EAP-TLS, etc.)in the network? For what reason is EAPOL configured? Have you checked the WPA key rotation settings on your WLAN controller? I have not used the Extricom controller so I can't help you with that.

Any additional information that you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks.
pete@ica.co.uk

Post by pete@ica.co.uk »

Thanks for your reply
We seem to be getting to the bottom of this now, the issue i was having with Alcatel, Extricom and Polycom was nobody seemed to want take take any responsibility and accept an SR to look in to the problem,I am (along with my company ) accredited, but Alcatel do not reconise the Extricom server as being on there approved list, the SVP server and MIPT handsets as we know are Spectra link/Polycom re branded as Alcatel,Polycom has Extricom as an approved brand but no one wanted to get involved.
We now have a solution.
The issue was that the Extricom server was waiting for a sercutity reply request from any device that logged on the network (the WiFi network was also being used for data) the MIPT handsets where not responding to this request and would drop of the network then re connect approx every hour when the request was sent out, Extricom are now modifying there software to prevent this and the Whole WiFi voice network is more stable
We where certain the issue was not with the Alcatel Enterprise or the SVP server it, was that non of the manufacturers would provide the required support and would all point the finger at each other.
Regards
Pete M :D
simonwatson

Post by simonwatson »

Hi
I can help clarify what is and is not supported in terms of WLAN...as I manage the relationship between ALU & PLCM for these products :-)

ALU will support installations of MIPT 310 & 610 on any VIEW Certified WLAN. VIEW is a thorough testing programme that ensures that WLAN infrastructure is sufficient to support our devices. A list of currently certified products is at http://www.polycom.eu/partners/partner_ ... tners.html

If an ALU BP wishes to install MIPT on a non-ALU but VIEW certified WLAN they must first complete a PCS document that overviews the proposed installation. This is then validated by ALU Central pre-Sales and one of my colleagues so that problems can be avoided...

If you work to this everything should be fine.

Rgds

Return to “Mobile IP Phones”