AVA on Infoblox appliances

IP and Voice over IP
johnrubinstein

AVA on Infoblox appliances

Post by johnrubinstein »

We're in the process of configuring an OXE solution at our law firm. We need our Alcatel-Lucent IP touch 4038 phones to automatically boot up to their assigned VOIP VLANs and acquire their VLAN specific DHCP-delivered IP address.

Our DHCP services are are delivered by Infblox appliances. Anyone out there had any experience (or documentation) configuring AVA with these appliances?

Thanks

John Rubinstein
egrep

Re: AVA on Infoblox appliances

Post by egrep »

TC0601 Explains Automatic VLAN Assignment...

If you have further questions, please post a reply...

Good Luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnrubinstein

Post by johnrubinstein »

Thanks for this. Just downloaded document and will let know know.

On first glance, does seem to explain the AVA process very well. But seems a bit thin on the actual configuration. Again, if there's anything out there that relates specifically to configuring AVA with Infoblox devices, that, too, would be much appreciated.

John
johnrubinstein

Post by johnrubinstein »

I thought I had posted a reply, but note that this is, in fact, not so.

While the document has proven most useful in understanding the AVA process, it would still be useful to have information, which is specifically related to configuring this functionality on Infoblox appliances.

John
rtk

Post by rtk »

Infoblox is just an ISC DHCP-server below the surface... You should use the ISC syntax to configure option 43 (vendor-encapsulated-options) as described in TC0601.

The value of the option in Infoblox would then look like: 3a:02:04:53:ff (use semi-colons!)

where:
3a = Alcatel vendor code
02 = Length of the data (2 bytes for the VLAN id)
04 53 = hex. respresentation of the VLAN id (in this case 1107)
ff = closing of the option

This works for us with Infoblox.

Good luck.

Richard
rtk

Post by rtk »

Hello,

Infoblox is just an ISC dhcp-server below the surface :o . You can use the ISC example from the Alcatel documentation.

So, for example, enter: 3A:02:00:1E:FF in the vendor-encapsulated-options field in the corresponding infoblox-scope definition to enable vlan-id 30 (001E in hex.) for AVA. This works fine at our site. You must use the semi-colons in the string for things to work properly!

Good luck

Richard
ybelal

Post by ybelal »

I have tried with 3A:02:00:1E:FF and also with 3A;02;00;1E;FF this format, it's not working, where should i use semi colon? need some help,please
cavagnaro
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Post by cavagnaro »

??? Where have you seen in hex that ; is used? Is always :
Now I guess you converted YOUR vlan number to HEX and also gave sample value used... meaning your vlan is also 30, right? If not please don't even try to ask how to convert dec to hex...

Sent from my XPeria Z
Ignorance is not the problem, the problem is the one who doesn't want to learn

OTUC/ICS ACFE/ACSE R3.0/4.0/5.0/6.0
Certified Genesys CIV 8.5
Certified Genesys Troubleshooting 8.5
Certified Genesys BEP 8.x
Genesys Developer
ybelal

Post by ybelal »

Dear mr. Cavagnaro, thanks for your reply, actually I couldn't explain exactly what I have done. I didn't use sample vlan value, I used hex value of my voice vlan which is 72 in my case. Also I tried to say that I have used standard format of : between each value but it was not working then only I tried with ; because I saw in previous post on this topic that " You must use the semi-colons in the string for things to work properly!". I couldn't understand that that's why I tried ; . Hope I made more clear what I have done, now if you kindly let me know what exactly I should write in vendor encapsulation field field,would be very kind of you.
Thank you
cavagnaro

Post by cavagnaro »

72 in hex is 48. So you put 00:48

Sent from my XPeria Z
Ignorance is not the problem, the problem is the one who doesn't want to learn

OTUC/ICS ACFE/ACSE R3.0/4.0/5.0/6.0
Certified Genesys CIV 8.5
Certified Genesys Troubleshooting 8.5