IPTouch stucked on "Trying to connect"

onealcatel

IPTouch stucked on "Trying to connect"

Post by onealcatel »

Hi,

We're having a dedicated VLAN for our phones, no problems, it works fine.

We're trying to add a new VLAN for a different department, but the phones are stuck on "Trying to connect" for some reasons.

The phone gets an IP, and has the exact same settings as the working VLAN, except different ip ranges.

From the Alcatel, I can ping the phone without any problems, until it reboots. I can also telnet the phone and see its details from the Alcatel.

However, the phone is never booting. I did a packet capture, and this is what show up :

http://imgur.com/a/7FjGQ

Which I don't get it. From the Alcatle, I can telnet the phone, I can run ippstat and get the phones details. Phones and Alcatel are connected with an IPSEC tunnel, but the firewalls rules are Allow from/to All, so there's no packet filtering. Plus I can see on my firewall that it's receiving and passing the packet.

Any idea on where I should look for ?
sadim
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: IPTouch stucked on "Trying to connect"

Post by sadim »

How is the vlan configured on the set
onealcatel

Post by onealcatel »

Phone is connected to the switch as untagged VLAN. There's no VLAN configuration on the set. But there's no configuration neither on the sets that are working on our primary telephony VLAN, only difference between the two is the VLAN ID.
sadim

Post by sadim »

Take a simultaneus capture at both ends and check them
tgn

Post by tgn »

just a blind-shot...

have you created a new ip domain in OXE?
if yes if yes is the same "ip quality of service" in charge in both?
in the "ip quality of service" can a vlan id be managed. this vlan id (if other as 0) is taken by the phone-set as soon the set has loaded his settings and will try to connect.

regards...
--- back to basics... focus your eyes to the essential things... ---
onealcatel

Post by onealcatel »

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I tried to created a new IP Domain for this ip-range, but it doesn't change anything. We have a few ip quality of service defined, but they all have VLAN ID set to 0.

I just tried to run an TFTP server on my computer and point the phones to it, I can see that the phones are downloading lanpbx.cfg correctly.

I also tried to download the lanpbx.cfg from my computer with TFTP client (On the same network as my not-working phones), and it's being downloaded fine from our Alcatel. It seems that it's when the phone is trying to download the binaries that it's failing for some reasons, but I really can't see why.
vad

Post by vad »

IP parameters - static configuration or DHCP?
When the same telephone connected to old VLAN - it starts OK?
sadim

Post by sadim »

What is the size of the MTU on your network?
tgn

Post by tgn »

sadim wrote:What is the size of the MTU on your network?
yes that can be the reason too. the phone tftp client cannot reassemble the fragmented tftp packets. you can set a limit in tsc-ip parameters. so the tftp server will send smaller packets.

regards...

onealcatel

Post by onealcatel »

MTU is set to 1024 in tsc/ip parameters and it's 1500 on our network, could it be the problem ?

But what's weird is that the phones are working ok in our old VLAN, with the same MTU everywhere.

However there's one difference, the new VLAN we're trying to setup is then going trought another internet connection / isp, but I really can't find what the problem can be. The IPSEC tunnel between our LAN and Alcatel is up and running, we can ping/telnet from/to the alcatel but it's just keep failing on downloading the bootfile after contacting the alcatel.

And yes, the phone is working if we switch it back to the old vlan.

Return to “ipTouch (40x8) issues and tricks”