I forgot the password (console of OS9700)

GrandMarquisLS95

I forgot the password (console of OS9700)

Post by GrandMarquisLS95 »

Hi all,

admin/switch for sure are the defaults, but I changed the password and I forgot it, even I changed the Management IP to access by GUI and also forgot it :shock:

Any idea please...
devnull
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: I forgot the password (console of OS9700)

Post by devnull »

you have no other user?

If not: Reboot and use the password recovery procedure, which is rpobably described somewhere (interrupt boot process - you may need to set a jumper) ... ...
You will need to reboot the 9700 resulting in network loss.
GrandMarquisLS95

Post by GrandMarquisLS95 »

Hi devnull,

I don't have other user.

Regrading network loss, this core switch installed in a new hotel that is under construction, so we don't worry about that.

How to set a jumper;
I searched whole www :) I got this:
https://service.esd.alcatel-lucent.com/ ... umber=2479

But I don't understand the solution mentioned in this link
The jumper ---> is can be seen physically, where, how to set, how about pins 1&2, J5011

Thanks in advance
devnull

Post by devnull »

It is on the CMM (just unscrew/pull the cmm) you should see it there labled as in the description. you have to provide your own jumper.
cynchan

Post by cynchan »

Hi, sorry that I pulled out this topic again. I also forgot the password to my OS 9700. Does the procedure mentioned by GrandMarquisLS95 just resets the username and password to default or are there any other implications?
silvio

Post by silvio »

you have to power down. By deleting the usertable from miniboot you have lost all your users. So its possible that users necessary to reach managment server like omnivista also are gone. If you are unsure you can rename the usertable (mv) and after successfull login rename it back to the orign usertable. Than you can set a new password for admin (because you are still logged in).
Configuration will not changed.
regards
Silvio
cynchan

Post by cynchan »

Hi Silvio, thank you for your reply. Franking speaking, my only experience with Alcatel-Lucent product is configuring the OS6224 so I am very worried if I do something wrong to the core switch and the network of the whole campus goes down. Is the connection method similar to connecting to OS6224...using HyperTerminal?
So first I would have to power down, then follow the steps in https://service.esd.alcatel-lucent.com/ ... umber=2479 . What is the command to rename usertable and to set a new password for admin?
devnull

Post by devnull »

You can use hyperterminal (i prefer Putty/SecureCRT or teraterm), you can test it before.. connect to the console, if you receive a prompt everything is fine.

Do you have another login on the switch (e.g. a snmpv3 user for Omnivista?) log in with this

Password recovery should be:
Set jumper on CMM, if dual cmm i would remove one, shut down the whole thing and set the jumper on the on thats in the chassis.

Reboot, hit a key when U-Boot tells you ("Hit any key to ...")
enter
"run miniboot"
[miniboot] -> cd "network"
[miniboot] -> ls
[miniboot] -> rm "UserTableX"
(The X depends on Firmware, everything after 6.3.1 X is 5 before that X is 4)

[miniboot] -> reboot

Now all users are gone you can login as admin/switch
To change the password enter
"user admin password <New-PW>"

the commands to rename should be (not tested)

[miniboot] -> cd "network"
[miniboot] -> ls
[miniboot] -> mv "UserTableX", "UserTableX_OLD"

afaik the usertable is read on a reboot, so copying it back when logged in will NOT enable all your users (at least was not in my tests), so please do your own tests.
cynchan

Post by cynchan »

Thank you for your detailed reply devnull. I'll try to reset the password in May during school-break.
Jelle

Post by Jelle »

Old thread, necro posting hard but I found this thread on google since I got my hands on an OS9700 switch chassis full of modules and 2x CMM.

I wasn't able to find anything related to the pins you need to jump, and when the system booted it says "press any button to interrupt automatic startup" but mashing the full keyboard while it's booting and it still booted automatic.

I looked at the CMM for that jumper port, but I didn't have a jumper. Solution would be to take a jumper from the other CMM, as there are one jumper in the CMM somewhere, but not sure what it does, so starting them one by one.

But before that I figured, eh why not try to put that CF card into a card reader, see what happens.
As it turned out, the filesystem is a normal FAT which can be read by Windows. So I was able to delete the userTable5, along with boot.cfg files to restore defaults.

Runs great, so could be a solution if anyone else is looking for one, it's pretty simple and most card readers can read CF cards, else a card reader that does read CF cards come decently cheap.

Return to “OmniSwitch 9000 / 9000E”