7700 Distribution Switch

amel632

7700 Distribution Switch

Post by amel632 »

Hi, I'd like your support with the following issue since the switch 7700 that I have doesn't have support with Alcatel anymore.

What happened is that after a power failure, the distribution switch 7700 left without service all the switches that depend of it, I mean all switches that are connected to it. Notice that switch 7700 didn't restart itself. All the end stations connected to the access switches were out, they showed limited connectivity. The solution was to restart manually switch 7700.

Here I send you the show log swlog output command. I also check if there were some .pmd file, but it wasn't. I don't know what was the reason for this. The reboot was done manually today at WED DEC 17 11:33:40 2014.

Hope you can help me with this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
devnull
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: 7700 Distribution Switch

Post by devnull »

i think it is very difficult, as the 7700 went end of Life years ago. (your line cards were manufactered 2003)
I can not read any hints out of this logs, and i doubt you will find someone who can do that here.

Personally i would go for a new coreswitch, (as you get more performance, have support aso) - your hardware is more than 10 year old and does (apparently) have random errors.

if it is working fine you can still use it.. but you won't get any bugs fixed, nobody at alcatel that could analyse your problems aso.
amel632

Post by amel632 »

Hi devnull,

You're right. Right now the end customer is in a process of renewall of technology for next year, but meanwhile I have to solve and give them an explanation of this cause. I wanted to know if you couldn't open the file that I attached. Please uncompressed the file and open the inside files with notepad to see them.
devnull

Post by devnull »

i opened the files, but i can not see any obvious Errors (plus i am an alcatel User without 7700 experience, and not an engineer from ALU).

command.log is
there is the reboot on 11:33 and some STP changes around that.

i doubt that you can explain a cause to the customer. You can argue with "long uptime, aging of electronics, sunflares, whatever.. " have an eye on that and hope that this will not occur again before the replacement.
cavagnaro

Post by cavagnaro »

I agree with devnull, what is the point of explaining a rare condition? Shit happens. Your HW is out of warranty, no more support from provider, HW suffers degradation, electricity can be affected by rust and so on and on and on,...
Why explain this to customer with a technical detail? Something happened, we can't open a ticket to understand, good sign for you to upgrade your HW if you don't want new possible problems on the future.
Ignorance is not the problem, the problem is the one who doesn't want to learn

OTUC/ICS ACFE/ACSE R3.0/4.0/5.0/6.0
Certified Genesys CIV 8.5
Certified Genesys Troubleshooting 8.5
Certified Genesys BEP 8.x
Genesys Developer

Return to “OmniSwitch 6600 / 7000 / 8800”