qos - Traffic Shaping

zorrox

qos - Traffic Shaping

Post by zorrox »

Hi,

I am trying to shape the traffic going through my Omniswitch 7800, which is my distribution switch. The configuration is as shown below. Basically, I want to allocate a maximum of 1Mbps to "mbi" and 2Mbps to "trisilco" inbound or outbound traffic.

policy network group mbi x.x.156.176 mask 255.255.255.240
policy network group trisilco x.x.156.128 mask 255.255.255.224 x.x.156.192 mask 255.255.255.192
policy condition bwsp-mbi-destin destination network group mbi
policy condition bwsp-mbi-source source network group mbi
policy condition bwsp-trisilco-destin destination network group trisilco
policy condition bwsp-trisilco-source source network group trisilco

policy action shape-1Mbps maximum bandwidth 1.00M
policy action shape-2Mbps maximum bandwidth 2.00M

policy rule rule-mbi-source condition bwsp-mbi-source action shape-1Mbps
policy rule rule-mbi-destin condition bwsp-mbi-destin action shape-1Mbps
policy rule rule-trisilco-source condition bwsp-trisilco-source action shape-2Mbps
policy rule rule-trisilco-destin condition bwsp-trisilco-destin action shape-2Mbps

After activating this configuration with "qos apply" command, I do not see any decrease in bandwidth allocated to either client. Both clients are using a lot more than 2Mbps currently.
When I test this policy with "show policy classify L3 applied....." the rules matched so maybe there is nothing wrong with the policies. However, my bandwidth management tool still shows the bandwidth used by either way exceeds the maximum bandwidth specified in configuration above. My question now is, from the configuration above, is the maximum bandwidth allocated to each IP address in the subnet? that is, for "mbi" case is 1Mbps is allocated to each IP address in 255.255.255.240 subnet or a total of 1Mbps is allocated to the whole subnet? I want to achieve the latter. What have I missed?

By the way, I do not rate-limit by port because all clients are connected to the same port on the distribution switch. The clients are actually connected to multiple ports on a few access switches (I do not do the shaping on access switches (3Com) because 1 customer may connect to multiple ports). These access switches in turn connect to the Alcatel distribution switch.

Below is the specs:

Software Version 5.1.5.54.R04 GA, November 18, 2004.
Copyright(c), 1994-2003 Alcatel Internetworking, Inc. All Rights reserved.

-> show hardware info
CPU Type : UltraSPARC IIe (SPARC-V9),
Flash Manufacturer : AMD,
Flash size : 33554432 bytes (32 MB),
RAM Manufacturer : Micron,
RAM size : 134217728 bytes (128 MB),
NVRAM Battery OK : YES,
Interrupt Boot Jumper : OFF,
Force UART Defaults Jumper : OFF,
Run Extended Memory Diags Jumper : OFF,
Spare Jumper : OFF,
BootROM Version : 5.1.5.340.R01,
Backup Miniboot Version : 5.1.5.340.R01,
Default Miniboot Version : 5.1.5.340.R01,
FPGA (1) Version : 44,
FPGA (2) Version : 44

Please help me.
benny

Re: qos - Traffic Shaping

Post by benny »

Before spending more time on that, upgrade to the latest Maintenance release (5.1.6.x.R02 - x is a number) as 5.1.5 is not supported any more by ALU and therefore your issue might be fixed already in a later build.
Regards,
Benny
MWLosRios

Post by MWLosRios »

Your policy conditions are specifying layer 3 (routing) criteria. When traffic from "mbi" or "trisilco" crosses your 7000, is it being routed through the switch, or just switched?

An easy way to assess that is to answer the following question: Does your 7000 switch have an ip interface on the "mbi" or "trisilco" networks?

If not, then your switch is just switching the traffic at Layer 2, and the layer 3 conditions you specified won't match this traffic.

You can also check to see if your policy is active by issuing 'show policy active rule', or by adding the 'log' keyword onto the end of your action statements. Then issue 'show qos log' to see if any flows matched your conditions.

Good luck,

Mark Williams
benny

Post by benny »

If he is classifying L3 traffic this could work without an IP interface (but as we don't have the full config...).
Regards,
Benny
MWLosRios

Post by MWLosRios »

qos classify l3 bridged would do it, but it's never a good idea on the 7x00 platform.

I've seen networks brought to a standstill with this option enabled on a 7x00.
benny

Post by benny »

Agreed. This is the main reason why I ask for an upgrade. OS7000 runs quite well with latest AOS version.
Regards,
Benny
MWLosRios

Post by MWLosRios »

What AOS version would you recommend for the 7000 series? Latest 5.4.1 or latest 5.1.6?

Thanks,

-Mark Williams
benny

Post by benny »

If you don't need any of the specific features in 5.4.1.R01 I would recommend the latest 5.1.6.R02 which is 5.1.6.458.R02 by now.
If you plan an update right now, you should wait some days - a new version should be published soon.
Regards,
Benny

Return to “OmniSwitch 6600 / 7000 / 8800”