MAC Mask

behd

MAC Mask

Post by behd »

Hi Everyone,

Could someone explain me how are the MAC Mask working in the OmniSwitch6850? (any reference link? even Google can't find anything relevant).

Basically I want to block one specific host on dhcp (and in all VLAN), but if I do it wrong I'll block all traffic...
Would the mask be ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff or 00:00:00:00:00:00?

Other related question, if I go to Policy > Policy > Conditions > Layer 2, can I specify the source MAC Address without specifying a mask? (and will it target only the specific host?).
NB. Yes, it's from the GUI, but I'm not confident enough in my Alcatel skills to go directly to CLI for such things ;-)

Thanks everyone!
-behd
dartzen

Re: MAC Mask

Post by dartzen »

Hi,

as far as I know the MAC Mask is entirely optional. If you specify exactly the MAC-Adress there should not be a problem.
behd

Re: MAC Mask

Post by behd »

Hi dartzen,

Thanks for reply!
I would tend to agree with you but I'm not confident at all as it's on production network (and if I need to go to console port to fix it with CLI, it'll probably take me a few hours of reading)...

Well temporarily I get rid of the device by banning him from DHCP, but if he's smart enough, he could connect again... So any definitive answer on the topic would be appreciated! (or if someone have a test environment and be kind enough to test...)...

Return to “OmniSwitch 6850 / 6850E”