AOS 4308 wireless switch

almatel

AOS 4308 wireless switch

Post by almatel »

hi all ,
reference to the attached network topology file, may you help me to
1- where I should connect the AOS 4308 wireless switch (to the Stack Switch or to the DIS. Switch ).
2- what is the Vlan ID of the port where the AOS 4308 will be connected (OR I have to create another Vlan for Ex. Vlan 100 : 10.10.100.1).
3- what is the Vlan ID of the port where the APs will be connected.
4- what is the Vlan ID of the connection ports of AOS 4308 and it is ( Access OR Trunk ).

your help means a lot to me.
Regard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: AOS 4308 wireless switch

Post by silvio »

1- where I should connect the AOS 4308 wireless switch (to the Stack Switch or to the DIS. Switch ).
both is possible. But I would prefer the DIS.
2- what is the Vlan ID of the port where the AOS 4308 will be connected (OR I have to create another Vlan for Ex. Vlan 100 : 10.10.100.1).
depents of a lot of questions. I assume your AP are tunneled (not bridged). where the AP's gettings its IP (central DHCP or OAW). Is the OAW L2 or in L3 design? Which vlans are associated to the virtual AP (SSID)?etc.
Best way you use one of your vlan as default/untagged (vlan 40?) and all other needed vlans tagged at this port (at OAW trunk port with allowed vlan...)
3- what is the Vlan ID of the port where the APs will be connected.
You can use special vlan for AP but also you can use the same vlan like all your staff or operation or....
4- what is the Vlan ID of the connection ports of AOS 4308 and it is ( Access OR Trunk ).
same like point 2.

hope this will hopefully. there are a lots of right possibilities for all your questions.
regards
Silvio
almatel

Post by almatel »

Hi silvio,
Again thanks a lot for your help.
I want to make the AP's getting its IP from QAW, and ref. to Network topology (attached) the SSID will be (Staff,VIP,Operation and Guest),thus the wireless clients who will connect to ( Staff,VIP OR Operation SSID ) and depends on MAC Authentication Profile (same as configured in the Stack switch by Vlans per MAC Rule)
this W.r Clients should be place in different Vlans and forwarded to the DIS Switch to get its IP from DHCP server,so that for example the staff client
whether he connects his Laptop to the wired port in (Stack S.w) or connects to SSID:Staff,he must forwarded to Staff Vlan:1 and get
Ip @ from sub net dedicated for that Vlan..and same for other users.
for Guest Clients they will connect only for the wireless AP's through Captive Portal profile to get access only to internet (guest should get its IP from QAW if possible ).
so Silvio may you help me to manage that.

Best regards.
almatel

Post by almatel »

Hi Silvio,
in addition
for this scenario as I have understood from you ,I think I have to configure a
1- Vlan 100 (10.10.100.1) in DIS. S.W and same vlan in Stack S.W (without IP)and tag
this Vlan (at the connection ports between Stack and DIS. )to pass to DIS. S.W
2- Put the AP's at Vlan 100 ports in the Stack S.W.... here Should I tag Vlans (1,30,40) or not ?.
3- Ip helper (( QAW Vlan 100 IP address )) Vlan 100
4- Create a Vlan 100 on QAW (10.10.100.2),and make QAW a DHCP Server for this Vlan.
5- connect the QAW to Vlan 100 port in DIS. S.w and tag Vlans (1,30,40).
6- make the Up-link port in the QAW as a trunk port for the Vlans (1,30,40) and vlan 100 as a native Vlan ...here should I add the Vlan 100 to trunk port or not ? .
7- for Guest clients ...if possible, create a Vlan 200 (192.168.1.1) and Configure the QAW as a
DHCP Server for this Sub net.
8-configure a loopback IP...( 10.10.100.200).

Is that correct ?,if yes then:
what about gateway Ip and how to forward the Wireless clients to DIS. S.W to get IPs from DHCP Server?.
regard
silvio

Post by silvio »

Hi,
1- Vlan 100 (10.10.100.1) in DIS. S.W and same vlan in Stack S.W (without IP)and tag
this Vlan (at the connection ports between Stack and DIS. )to pass to DIS. S.W
yes
2- Put the AP's at Vlan 100 ports in the Stack S.W.... here Should I tag Vlans (1,30,40) or not ?.
vlan 100 untagged (default) at the ports to AP. If you use tunnel (normal behavior) than you don't need the other vlan.
3- Ip helper (( QAW Vlan 100 IP address )) Vlan 100
no. also vlan 100 tagged to OAW. there must be an ip-interface in vlan 100 and a dhcp range.
4- Create a Vlan 100 on QAW (10.10.100.2),and make QAW a DHCP Server for this Vlan.
yes - see 3.
5- connect the QAW to Vlan 100 port in DIS. S.w and tag Vlans (1,30,40)
yes
6- make the Up-link port in the QAW as a trunk port for the Vlans (1,30,40) and vlan 100 as a native Vlan ...here should I add the Vlan 100 to trunk port or not ? .
yes. which vlan is the the native/default is not important at the uplink. Important is the same config at both ends.
7- for Guest clients ...if possible, create a Vlan 200 (192.168.1.1) and Configure the QAW as a
DHCP Server for this Sub net.
yes is possible. You have to deside how to handle this traffic: routing in oaw, or direct forward to a special guest-router etc.
8-configure a loopback IP...( 10.10.100.200).
yes - you can use a vlan 100 address as loopback.

But please be aware: this is a very old OAW. No support since some years. No new AP will be able at this OAW...

regards
Silvio
almatel

Post by almatel »

hi Silvio,
than you ,that really helps,but
1- in this scenario it will one port on QAW (up-link port ) is connected to the DIS. S,w....IS it normal (OK!),and no need to have another access port ( Vlan 100 connected ).
2- what about gateway Ip and how to forward the Wireless clients to DIS. S.W to get IPs from DHCP Server?
3- for the IP helper i have meant to config. in the Stack S.W a ( IP helper address 10.10.100.2 Vlan 100 ) to direct AP's to the QAW S.W to get their IP's OR no need for that ?.
and thank for your concern ,yes it is too old but we are living a War situation ( here in Yemen) and we cannot order for a new one.
this client is a UNDP ( you Know how their Staff No. increasing in our situation ), beside that I know how to manage the A6850 S.W ,but no much Idea about QAW.( can you explain point No.2).
regards.
silvio

Post by silvio »

I assume with QAW you meen OAW (omniaccess wireless - the controller). Like you have written and I have answered: between OAW and Dis you need a link with more than one vlan - at omniswitch this is a 802.1q-tagged port (all vlans tagged) with a dafault vlan (f.e. 100) and at OAW this is a trunk port with all vlans tagged and native vlan (f.e. 100). than for the traffic in this vlans there must be an other device (Dis???) that make the routing between the networks. From view of OAW this is a L2-design - no routing at OAW. So you don't need ip-helper there. In one of the networks you need a route (gateway is the other device) - mainly for management.
There are a lot of basic network questions at you. It will be better to ask someone for help.

regards
Silvio
almatel

Post by almatel »

Hi Silvio,
than you for you help.
regards.

Return to “OmniAccess WLAN Switching Systems (OEM)”