100% Linux ?

PCInstaller, it's tricks, it's problems...
mothinx

100% Linux ?

Post by mothinx »

Hello there !!!

Would like to be 100% Linux on my laptop, but don't know if there is a way to use PC Installer, Audio Station on this kind of Operator System ? I'm curently mounting a personal computer with Ubuntu and will try to install Pc installer with an emulator like Wine.

If you have any advices ....

Best regards, Julien
Krusty65
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Post by Krusty65 »

Mothinx,

I think (but don't know for sure) that PCInstaller is just a front end for a bootp and tftp server, so if you can get these for ubuntu (which I'm sure that you can) then you should be able to edit the settings in each to point to the necessary files in the distribution.

With this then you can dispense with WINE for this, as for Audio Station MS emulation is probably the only option.

I think I tried getting some of the ALU sw to work on WINE with KUBUTU and failed but that was quite a while ago and it has matured since then.

If you succeed then don't forget to write a how to so that you can post it on here.

K.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.
But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
Gedeon

Post by Gedeon »

PC installer is a perl frontend for DHCP / TFTP and FTP program.These programs become from linux system.
You can use atftpd on debian based systems for TFTP server.
For DHCP server, you must use the dhcp server modified by ALU to read the specific vendor-class for ALU systems.
For FTP, you can use proftpd or other server.
Linux servers (dhcp_emediate) are available on the DHS3 software in dhs3mgr/RELEASE/pcmao/boot_res/bootp/linux/linux
You can use pcinstaller to create different dhcpd.conf to see what you must create in your configuration file and create the good link to bootp software.
Be careful, on linux system, FTP servers are case sensitive...

For audiostation, no other solution that emulation, or W2K or XP in vmware system (if you don't want to create flash-card).

G.
pilotrus

Post by pilotrus »

Here is Q/A from one FAQ:
Q:Are there any other possibilities for loading the CS/CPU with a boot server other than PC Installer on the PC? If I remember correctly in the Chorus days you could designate another running OXE as a boot server. Also, is it possible to somehow set up a Linux system as a boot server? I have installed PC Installer with Wine but not surprisingly it didn't run. Thank you.

A:Linux dhcp server, provided with the version, under pcmao/boot_res.
You have 2 versions, for linux and for solaris.
You must have a tftp server (atftpd is OK under debian).
ether

Re: 100% Linux ?

Post by ether »

I'm starting to try the same thing. Any progress mothinx?
krzysioD

Re: 100% Linux ?

Post by krzysioD »

Simply, make a bootp server, dhcp server, tftp and ftp server.
No need for windows.
Even better, you could limit your answers (bootp, tftp, dhcp) to alcatel-only by mac identifier (first 3 bytes 00:80:9F:xx:xx:xx) and by appliances (ibm or hp) - it simply works.
Please note that at no time I will provide you with OXE/4400 nor AOS releases.
Note that it's our private time, that we spent to help you, so please don't expect complete solution for your problem.
You will need to do homework by your self.

Return to “Software Loading”