Phone Interception

You found one ?
You know about one ?
Share it !
sofia.oikonomou

Phone Interception

Post by sofia.oikonomou »

Hello to everyone,

Could you please suggest if there is a way i could recognize or trace whether i have interceptions or wires on my UA or IP sets. I have a manager that insists that his phone is being tapped and i have no way to convince him otherwise.

Thank you,
Sofia
Konstantinos.E
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Phone Interception

Post by Konstantinos.E »

hi

for ip phones it is easy to capture rtp packets cause the packets are spead all over the network.for noe phones you have to enable set mirror lan to be able to capture the packets so this means mtcl access.to avoid that you have to have encryption inside your company.So a network expert can sniff the calls and actually you will not be able to understand who tapped you.For ua phones you have to have root access to the pbx and trace the ua phone and capture the load from there.
So anyone who has access to the pbx its more easy to record you.
But ofcourse you never know what is happening behind the pbx.
vad

Post by vad »

I think you cannot with trace to find this problem. May be some bag in UA board (when exist wrong TDM connection in C1 chip) - just unplug and plug again UA board.
But with security - can be some problem - why this manager insists that his phone is being tapped?
I have some case like this but problem was different:
- one customer speak very loudly (people arround hear everything);
- sometimes problem really exist but on another sites (in conversation we have TWO ends);
- sometimes security department can do something.
From my point of view - before start to work with this problem - you need to have real argument, demonstration (not only manager suspicion but some facts).
In real life very easy to record conversation - UA recording box for UA set, some sniffer SW (if you have possibility to redirect RTP traffic or connect via hub) for IP sets.
sofia.oikonomou

Post by sofia.oikonomou »

Hello and thank you for the replies,

Actually the security department informed me about the issue. The manager claims, that some times when he is in conversation it sounds like there is someone else in the line (?!), like having a duplex phone and both parties have picked up. What is actual is that he suspects another manager that left the company. This is the only case i have. So i need arguments to prove that the phone is not being tapped...
So, in case of ua phone, what should i look for in the pbx, to find this "set mirror lan"?

Thanks again,
Sofia
Konstantinos.E

Post by Konstantinos.E »

incvisu....check who else enters the pbx.

set mirror lan is a command to enable rtp packets to be visible over network.Noe uses encryption.

Return to “Bugs & Security issues”