DHCP Options and Omnivista Autoconfiguration Tab

Kyuzo

DHCP Options and Omnivista Autoconfiguration Tab

Post by Kyuzo »

Hello,

i have a rather tough problem and found this board, and haven`t found a post that addresses my problem.

Basically I want to use the "new" autoconfiguration feature of omnivista 2500 v3.5.1 ( was the version it came with) were using v3.5.2. I have My DHCP, Omnivista Server and ftp on W2k3 virtual machines. With the autoconfiguration tab i want to make it possible that the switches (omniswitch 6400, 6850, 6855, 9000) download the newest fimware and maybe a basic config file and maybe a short cli scipt.

So far i am stuck on the DHCP options. In the omnivista help it says and I quote "You must create an Instruction File for each switch model on your network. When the switch sends its initial request to the DHCP Server, the model name (e.g., 6850, 9000) is included in the Vendor Class Identifier Field (Option 60 Field). The DHCP Server will then return the Instruction File corresponding to the model listed in the field."

I just can`t get that part to work. It says in the instruction that i have to set options 66 and 67, problem is, that for each dhcp scope, I can only set 1 option 66 and 1 option 67, so all switches would get the same instruction file, and that won`t work since every switch needs different fimware etc. SO I tried, when you right click the scope the option define vendor class and created a new one for each switch type...
Then I went to Predefined Options, and manually entered options 66 and 67 for each switch type. I thought I solved the problem, but when it didn`t work. The switches said field 66 0 or greater than 64 and field 67 is 0 or greater than 64. So i tried again, and sniffered with wireshark. The DHCP didn`t send anything in field 66 and 67, instead it sent suboptions 66 and 67 within field 43.

So question is... it it possible to solve this using the DHCP options, and keeping all switches in the same DHCP scope for auto configuration? I could try a workaround by creating a DHCP scope for each switch type, then I could create a different field 66 and 67 for each scope... I might even have to if ther eis no other way, but then it would be nice to be able to control in wich DHCP scope each switch get its IP from depending on the vendor class identifier.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I hope the whole post isn`t too confusing. If I missed out on some vital information please ask I will check regularly on this post and supply any information needed.

Thx
one6f

Re: DHCP Options and Omnivista Autoconfiguration Tab

Post by one6f »

Hello Kyuzo,
I've just found this tip. It is not directly related to your problem, but maybe helps you further. It shows Automatic Remote Configuration in a Non-default Vlan.

Return to “DHCP Configuration”