IP Touch phones stuck in boot loop

gazwald

IP Touch phones stuck in boot loop

Post by gazwald »

Hi,

We have this reoccuring issue where after a power outage at a remote site, some of our IP Touch 4028 handsets get stuck in the boot loop.

To resolve this we have to log onto the Cisco 2900 router at the site and clear the arp cache. When you do a "show arp" after clearing the arp cache, there are still a few entries that have not been cleared and you have to issue the command several times before all entries end up with a zero in the Age column. Some phones will boot ok after this, and some will still need to be power cycled and also have another "clear arp-cache" done on the router the get them going again.

We are running an untagged default VLAN and a tagged Voice VLAN. The phones boot on the default VLAN, get their DHCP options and then swap to the voice VLAN and do another DHCP request and this has been working fine for months and months.

Either way, it seems to be and arp issue stuffing things up.

Phone IP Touch 4028, boot: 4.21.50, version 4.21.50, customisation -, Localisation -, SIP 2.01.20

All Cisco network, 2921s, 2960s, 3750s.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? What did you do to fix it? Thanks!

Regards,
g@z.
gazwald

Re: IP Touch phones stuck in boot loop

Post by gazwald »

Just an update for everyone, we appear to have had some success with a change on the ARP timeout value on the Cisco router from the default 4 hours to 20 seconds. This increases ARP traffic on the local LAN, but it helps with the phone issue.

Also, the issue seems to be worse when using Cisco PoE switches. We have a site where some phones are on a Cisco 2960 PoE switch and others are using power packs on a non PoE 2960 and the users on the PoE switch have a lot more issues and for longer. Cheers!

Regards,
g@z.
jasic

Re: IP Touch phones stuck in boot loop

Post by jasic »

Hi I have a issue seem very similar. In my case it was a duplicate IP Address I entered in the default VLan (VLan IP Address)

Return to “DHCP Configuration”