OMC Databases lost with windows update

dtmftones

Re: OMC Databases lost with windows update

Post by dtmftones »

Just more on this. The only fix Ive found so far is to un-install the windows update. For Win7 32 bit it is KB4041681 . See Different designations on other Operating systems.
Unfortunately this is a pretty big security update.
In win7 I un-installed the update and did a Hide in the updates before it reinstalled. My system is very up to date . I dont hold back updates an hence this problem hit me not long after it was released by MS.

I have tried changing the default DB folder (as suggested) using Options>Parameters but this did not help.

Ive uninstalled the MS update again for now and Hidden it. This could be a problem in Win10 going by the way they have changed the way updates are controlled on that OS. Every time I uninstall the update OMC works again fine.

I beleive the problem has something to do with the OBDC data sources as I see differences in the User DSN Tab on a working system and a non working system. The way the OMC programe starts asking for database.xls files instead of database.omc files is pretty suspicious. Also the way it ends up in a dialog window resembling closely the OBDC config windows found in the control panel is telling.
The first thing that happens prior to this is a error where OMC is unable to open a registry Key. I tend to think theres a fix for all this with a registry edit but Ive no idea where to start.

Sorry for the long post. Ive spent hours on this for 2 nights in a row now so if someone else can benefit or take this further then great.
Here are the error windows in the order in which they appear.
error11.jpg
error2.jpg
error3.jpg
obdc User DSN.jpg
Here is the info from the MS Update website. Interestingly I did install the KB4038803 update refered to here and had no issue with OMC.
Also note the reference to MS JETDatabase engine having changes.

KB4041681 Win7
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4038803 (released September 19, 2017) and resolves the following issues:
• Addressed issue with docking and undocking Internet Explorer windows.
• Addressed issue with form submissions in Internet Explorer.
• Addressed issue with URL encoding in Internet Explorer.
• Addressed issue that prevents an element from receiving focus in Internet Explorer.
• Addressed issue with the rendering of a graphics element in Internet Explorer.
• Addressed issue where USBHUB.SYS randomly causes memory corruption that results in random system crashes that are extremely difficult to diagnose.
• Security updates to Microsoft Windows Search Component, Windows kernel-mode drivers, Microsoft Graphics Component, Internet Explorer, Windows kernel, Windows Wireless Networking, Microsoft JET Database Engine, and the Windows SMB Server.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
Symptom Workaround
After installing KB4041681, package users may see an error dialog that indicates that an application exception has occurred when closing some applications. This can affect applications that use mshtml.dll to load web content. The failure only occurs when a process is already shutting down and will not impact application functionality.

Regards DTMFTONES
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lbanias

Post by lbanias »

Same thing happned to me lately on Win10 64bit, but also on virtual WinServer2012: odbc excel driver login failed. Nu success after uninstall of Office 2010, OMC, DBadapterWith a virtual Win XP OMC still opens old saved databases.
dirscuba

Post by dirscuba »

Ok, i don't think that Alcatel can do something about this issue due to the fact that Microsoft is aware about it and will fix it in the next patches: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4041678
But the culprit is just one .dll file and you can fix it like this:

Update the below registry key to point to an old copy of the DLL file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Excel\Win32]

To get an old copy of the DLL, uninstall the patch KB404xxxx, copy the DLL "msexcl40.dll" from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msexcl40.dll to a new location say "C:\\msexcl\\msexcl40.dll".

You can now modify the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Excel\Win32] to point to the new DLL location "C:\\msexcl\\msexcl40.dll" (by default it’d be pointing to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msexcl40.dll)
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

UPDATE. New OMC on BPWS.
21.0/19.1a works fine.
alexeik

Post by alexeik »

not for me on win 10... same error
Holger_Stonie

Post by Holger_Stonie »

Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

very strange...i use win 10 with all updates. I can open Database with OMC 19.1a.
alexeik

Post by alexeik »

yeah strange

i did the changes dirscuba posted, and it works fine...
ftaormina

Post by ftaormina »

I solved my issue by copying known good copy of database.omc and placing it into default location. Windows 10 64bit with OMC 22.0.8.1c.
ChristophK

Post by ChristophK »

I solved it by renaming the database.omc and thereby forcing the OMC to create a new blank version of the database.omc. For some OMC versions I use a specific database folder. Looks like from some point on the database.omc seems to be incompatible between the OMC versions. The new database.omc created by the OMC solved my problem. After all the hour-long Registry searches, MS Access Database Installations, Windows Upgrade Deinstallations...... it is such a little file who caused and solved it. Thats life.

Return to “MAIN”