IP Touch XML Extended Services

Rens

Post by Rens »

Hello,

Does anyone have any examples on how to create your own IP Touch xml application which van initiate a call?

According to ACTIS I need one of the following two licenses to create an IP touch application.

IP Touch XML Basic Services
This licence is used to display and access external applications from an IP Touch set. Indicate the total number of users (of all the nodes) accessing this service.

This licence is used to display and access external applications from an IP Touch set. It also enables the application to activate basic telephone functions on this set.

I my case it will be the IP Touch XML Extended Services which I need.

I've found a nice document (MyIPTouchDevelopersGuide.pdf) on the application partner site which descibes all kind of functions but all of them are releated to the IP Touch XML Basic Services as far as i can tell.

As far as I can tell this also isn't the XML Phone Web Service or XML Phone Set Programming Web Service.

I hope some one hase some information available regarding this IP Touch XML Extended Services feature.

Regards,

Rens
frank
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Post by frank »

I am pretty sure once you download the XML PRESENTATION SERVER, there are a couple of demo application that comes with it.
Once is a calculator, you might have the webcam too.
I probably have some old source code around, or I'm sure Cavagnaro has some!
Code Free Or Die
Rens

Post by Rens »

Hello Frank,

I've found quite a few example applications like the LanCam, Calculator and World Weather app. But none of them have the ability to initiate a call.

so I'm looking for an example which does some call handling.

Regards,

Rens
frank

Post by frank »

Ha.. Initiate a call, I don t know how to do that.
Is it in the white papers maybe ?
I thought there was some (poor) documentation that came with the XML PRESENTATION SERVER ?
Code Free Or Die
cavagnaro

Post by cavagnaro »

Check in the XML API documentation, http://www.applicationpartner.alcatel-lucent.com
Rens

Post by Rens »

Hello cavagnaro,

Thanks for the response but I've already spent quite a few hours searching for the documentation on the application partner site. But atleast as an open developer I cann't find any examples or API's concerning the IP Touch XML Extended Services.

There are quite a few on IP Touch XML Basic Services but that seems to be all.

Regards,

Rens
cavagnaro

Post by cavagnaro »

Oh well, examples, no you will not find any. The idea is that you understand how the basics work and then reading XML API guide you will be able to understand the flow and execute what you need.
pbx_dancer

Post by pbx_dancer »

Are you trying to initiate a call from the IPTouch application running on the phone? Or are you trying to initiate the call from a remote server which is connected to the IPTouch phone itself? I don't recall seeing a make call type function specifically on the phone through the IPTouch screens, however, this can definitely be done using the XML Phone Services API. Presumably you could have a button in your IPTouch application that sends a request to your remote server, which turns around and uses the XML Phone Services to initiate a call on that phone.

I wrote a Resource Adapator (RA) that runs inside a SLEE to connect to the XML server. It logs into a phone, initiates a call to a specific number, and the logs out of that phone. I didn't use any of the IPTouch interface stuff as there was no need to present a GUI on the IPTouch phone for the user during the operation (besides the normal IPTouch GUI thats already running on the phone when a call is made, etc.

There are examples of how to initiate calls using the XML Phone service. I used the javascript example code in the XML Web Services Basic Tutorials guide (document was named: "XMLPhone_Web-Services_Basic_Tutorials_for3.1.pdf") as the starting point for my application. I wrote it in straight Java (not javascript) and for the XML Services 5.0 interface (as opposed to the 3.1 interface), but there was almost no change in the code other than the location of the framework service URL to use when logging into the service and into a phone.

I believe I downloaded the examples document directly form the Alcatel site. XML Phone API documentation I downloaded straight from the XML service (you can click on the ? icon on the landing page and it will present you a list of all the available documentation on the server).

I can give more detailed info on what I did if you need it.

Cheers,
//Robert
Rens

Post by Rens »

Hello Robert,

Initiating a call from a remote server is no issue. This works fine but for every set I would need to create a user in the xml server. For this I need licenses.
For the IPTouch GUI interface you also need a license. IP Touch XML Basic Services.

So why not combine those services in one license? In actis you have besides the IP Touch XML Basic Services also the IP Touch XML Extended Services. According to actis: This licence is used to display and access external applications from an IP Touch set. It also enables the application to activate basic telephone functions on this set.

Which I thought would be perfect for my application I'm trying to build. My own call-by-name pages.

Regards,

Rens
pbx_dancer

Post by pbx_dancer »

I agree. It would have been nice for the licenses to be combined. As far as not being able to initiate a call directly from IPTouch application, I guess they figured if you're accessing the physical phone you can just you the phone's regular interface to make the call and not your application. Seems odd to not let you really control the phone from the app without resorting to a remote server logging back in using the web servies framework api instead.

//Robert

Return to “XML Presentation Server & TAPI Server”