Using 6250 as a media convertor - with no config

andyp

Using 6250 as a media convertor - with no config

Post by andyp »

Hi
My company is a long time and heavy user of the 6250. Usually we put on a standard config including ssh and aaa access security, and suchlike.
There is talk that we may start to use the 6250 as an unmanaged box in two new roles:-

1, Converting optical to electrical - putting a fibre sfp in slot 1/10 and a cat5 in slot 1/1 - this allows up to a 100Mb signal through with the 6250 staright from the box - no config at all. The reason for this seems to be we have a fibre based network but our aggregator has copper interfaces.

2, speed conversion - plugging a 1gb copper cable into port 1/10 and a cat5 into port 1/1. This allows up to 100Mb through the 6250 straight from the box - no config.The reason for this seems to be our main aggregators only have 1gb ports but our customers want sub-100mb. Question - will port 1/10 auto-sense 1gb or only up to 100mb?

In both cases, security is not an issue as this is handled elsewhere.

My question - will it work and how? I guess the firmware on the 6250 (450 version) is smart enough to auto-sense speed, duplex and mdi itself.
Seems an expensive way to do the job but not my call.

Any thoughts from anyone appreciated.

Thanks
Andy
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Using 6250 as a media convertor - with no config

Post by silvio »

I think both will work. 1/10 will autoneg with 1G but traffic is limited to 100Mbit (1/1).
Regards
Silvio
devnull

Re: Using 6250 as a media convertor - with no config

Post by devnull »

Will work (did something similar in the past).
Just be aware that "intelligent" media converters have a reason.

e.g.
a Switch is NOT transparent to L2 (e.g. it runs STP/1x1)
It will (per default) not reflect a linkdown of the fibe to the copper interface or vice versa.. this can be relevant in certain VRRP/ Routing scenarios.

Otherwise: go ahead

Return to “OmniSwitch 6250”