Want to power Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD via POE from OS6250

AndyK

Want to power Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD via POE from OS6250

Post by AndyK »

Hi All

trust everyone is well?

I would just like to know if it is possible to use the POE of an OS 6250 to power the Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD

According to the Mikrotik docs port 1 on this model router is configured for inline POE use (24 volt)... meaning POE can be used to power the unit instead of using the AC adaptor (which reads: Output 12v 1A) and if my calculations are correct, 12 volt is equal to 12000mw
I have multiple devices powered on the 6250 without any issues, phones, access points etc... but unable to get this scenario working..... is it even possible?
I have removed the other devices to see if perhaps there wasn't sufficient power everything.... but still not joy

I have 2x stacked 6250 switches.... total of 225 watt per switch with default lanpower settings, so ports 1-6 and 23-24 have 31 watt available for use, which if im not mistaken is more than enough power for the Mikrotik router

Not an urgent scenario.... more for LAB testing, but it would be nice to know if this can be done.

Thanks

Regards
Andy
devnull
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Want to power Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD via POE from OS6250

Post by devnull »

Afaik the Microtik only supports passive PoE, not "Standard" PoE. So i think you need a Adapter (https://mikrotik.com/product/RBGPOE) or a Mikrotik Switch that supports passive PoE.

Seems to be same as with the UBNT APs where the old ones did not support 802.3af/at but some own/passive thing

Return to “OmniSwitch 6250”