auto admin save command

john_gabe

auto admin save command

Post by john_gabe »

HI guys
wanted to do two things on 7210, would be really great full if some buddy help me out.

1) want to run automatically "admin save" command when ever any buddy come out from config mode .

2) want to run "admin save" at 3am daily from cron.

Thanks in advance guys
mivens

Re: auto admin save command

Post by mivens »

I realise I'm not answering your question directly, but doing this could have unintended consequences. What you are proposing sort of defeats the purpose of having a separate running and starting up configuration (although later versions of SR OS also have a rollback feature).

For example, if you make a configuration change that causes you to lose connectivity to the node, you probably don't want a non-working configuration to be automatically saved. If you make configuration changes manually then perhaps "admin save" should also be a manual process after all post-checks have been completed successfully.

If you are concerned about nodes with unsaved config, you could get your network monitoring system to alert you to this. There are SNMP objects tmnxCpmCardConfigLastSaved and tmnxCpmCardConfigLastModified which you could poll.
thecandymancan

Re: RE: Re: auto admin save command

Post by thecandymancan »

mivens wrote:I realise I'm not answering your question directly, but doing this could have unintended consequences. What you are proposing sort of defeats the purpose of having a separate running and starting up configuration (although later versions of SR OS also have a rollback feature).

For example, if you make a configuration change that causes you to lose connectivity to the node, you probably don't want a non-working configuration to be automatically saved. If you make configuration changes manually then perhaps "admin save" should also be a manual process after all post-checks have been completed successfully.

If you are concerned about nodes with unsaved config, you could get your network monitoring system to alert you to this. There are SNMP objects tmnxCpmCardConfigLastSaved and tmnxCpmCardConfigLastModified which you could poll.
I was once told by tac that I should avoid saving after changes as it could wear out the flash card. I found this hilariously terrifying

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Check out my new NRS1 study guide here: https://www.snu.training/books.html

SRA #250
CCIE #40869
NRS2 #1268

http://iamjeffvader.com/
rekeds

Re: auto admin save command

Post by rekeds »

btw, we've killed many CFs with persistent dhcp/sbscrmgmt. sometimes it only took a month or so.
don't do it. :D

Return to “7210 SAS”