No Ping End to End on VPLS

netadminjd

No Ping End to End on VPLS

Post by netadminjd »

Fairly new to Alcatel inherited another network last year. Have a new VPLS Service created first manually and the reattempted with SAM 5620 to get a VLAN to pass end to end. Both configs look same and the same as all prior VPLS in the 7450-ESS-6 and 7450-ESS-1. Checked configs line by line by two different people.

Physical = Equip <--Port--ESS6--Router Port--><--Router Port--ESS1--Router Port--><Router Port--ESS1--Port-->Equip

Logical VPLS Service over MPLS LSP = Equip<--SAP--ESS6--SDP--><--MPLS OSPF LSP--><--SDP--ESS1--SAP-->Equip

Service shows up in SAM from end to end with no errors.
Each End ESS can ping the System IP Address of the other ESS.
ESS6 holding the VLAN Routing information of 10.0.248.1/21
Devices currently in this range have 10.0.255.1-254
ESS6 can ping 10.0.248.1
ESS1 on other end can ping 10.0.248.1

All other services to site and ports are working.
Ran "show service id <#> fdb detail on both ends and the VPLS shows the MAC address of the equipment passing from either end.
It appears to be a Layer 3 issue.

Ran Traceroute from Equipment ends cannot ping the router 10.0.248.1

Traceroute to device shows
0.0.0.0 * * *
0.0.0.0 * *
10.0.248.1/21 96ms !H
repeated

Traceroute from device
Shows no route to destination.

Routing Table on ESS6 shows 10.0.248.1/21 Local

I feel I am passing over something and am a bit perplexed. It seems like there is no ARP traffic being to other end or the OSPF MPLS link is updating dynamically for this VLAN. Any help, ideas, test commands I should try to see result would be helpful. My next thought is to put static ARP through sites, but I thought this should be unnecessary.

Thanks ahead of time.
paramount

Re: No Ping End to End on VPLS

Post by paramount »

Hi, sounds like the Mac learning is happening at both ends. So the broadcasts and unknown etc is going through.

A little confused at the traceroute. Are you running a routed vpls or just plain layer 2 vpls? Or are you running an ospf session across the vpls?

If you could share config's and IP at each end it would help.

Cheers
Paramount
paramount

Post by paramount »

Other bit to try is the oam commands. From terminal type oam and then you will get a whole host of options. Best one in your case is to do

Oam cpe-ping service xxxx destination x.x.x.X source X.x.X.y

You should try this to both IPS from both ends. Just use a spare address in same subnet as source address.

Cheers
netadminjd

Post by netadminjd »

Thank you for the reply. Yes there are routes for our internal VPLS' to Connect to IES Services for inter VLAN routing with the VLAN Interface. OSPF 0 contains all the interfaces for site to site routes, while OSPF 1 contains VLAN routes. I have tried testing it over the layer 2 and watched macs go across, but when to devices on the same VPLS at different ends are connected within the subnet they cannot communicate to each other, it is as if the IPs of these devices are being directed to go somewhere elsewhere.

I will see about using the OAM feature and gather the site configs to look at.

Again thanks,
JD
netadminjd

Post by netadminjd »

Turned out to be a Layer 2 LAG was missing that connects to a Layer 3 LAG.

Thanks for the assist.
paramount

Post by paramount »

No problem, thanks for confirming it's sorted :-)

Return to “7450 ESS”