SNMP V2 Setup Issue

nickburns

SNMP V2 Setup Issue

Post by nickburns »

Hi all,

Long time reader and first time poster. I'm having an issue on a 7705 with being able to get an SNMP response. I've set a V2 RO community string and tried but no response. After reading the documentation, I feel like I'm missing something else access wise but I really only see those constraints on V3. Any advice? Thanks.

J
mivens

Re: SNMP V2 Setup Issue

Post by mivens »

First thing to check - snmp isn't shutdown?

"show system information | match SNMP" should say operational state is enabled. If not:
/configure system snmp no shut

Also check if a cpm-filter/management access filter/ip filter isn't blocking the requests. Check show snmp counters and see if they are increasing when you poll.
nickburns

Post by nickburns »

Excellent. I'll try that shortly. I did have some luck yesterday creating an access group and getting a response out of one, but the rest didn't. Still don't know how an access group and/ or view fit in to a V2 community string. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.
DoobieHowserMD

Post by DoobieHowserMD »

For SNMPv2 there are only a couple commands needed to make it work:

configure system security snmp community <community-name> rwa version both
configure system snmp no shutdown

If you would like to send more data for each packet then you can change the mtu for snmp using configure system snmp packet-size <value>.

After that you can use show system snmp community to show the list of communities built on the router.

Return to “7705 SAR”