Turn auto negotation off on Nokia SR1 port and manually set speed to 1000? (its default)

thevillainlikescooby

Turn auto negotation off on Nokia SR1 port and manually set speed to 1000? (its default)

Post by thevillainlikescooby »

Greetings!

I have a Nokia SR1 Router running a copper interface with ies ip-mtu 1500 and an ospf area on that interface using mtu 1500. I connect this router to a managed switch and can see the switch has an active 1000Mbps gigabit port active and UP.

On the other side, I have a customer router running a copper SFP, which the config shows is a compatible copper SFP with their router, matching hello and MTU. A correctly subnetted interface on their router in this OSPF area should be able to ping our SR1 side. When connected to the same switch, I have an active connection via the switch from their side, but the routers can't ping each other.

We dropped the switches and directly connected the two router ports that are planned to talk to each other. On the customer router side, if they turn auto negotiation OFF, and 100 Mbps ON, the routers can ping. OSPF works. On the customer router side, if they set the interface to a speed of 1000Mbps like we would like, NADA.

The customer is interested in seeing the result of turning auto negotation off on the SR1, and MANUALLY setting the port to a speed of 1000, which is its default anyway. Is this possible? I did turn it off, and ran ' speed 1000 'on the port, but not sure if thats exactly the trick. The SR1 mda card is gigabit.

Stoffen

Re: Turn auto negotation off on Nokia SR1 port and manually set speed to 1000? (its default)

Post by Stoffen »

Hi.
Can you please provide full MDA card type?
Is this the FP4 based Nokia SR-1 or the old Alcatel-Lucent SR-1?
[flash=]
Christoffer

Network System Expert Norway
Nokia SRA #265
Alcatel-Lucent SRC 3RP Certified #552
Alcatel-Lucent SRC NRS-2 Certified #1104
Huawei HCNP Routing & Switching certified
Cisco CCNP Certified
LinkedIN
[/flash]

lo0

Re: Turn auto negotation off on Nokia SR1 port and manually set speed to 1000? (its default)

Post by lo0 »

Check out the following commands... assuming the physical port on the SR is 1/1/1.

# Configure the port's speed to 10M,100M,1000M/1G.
/configure port 1/1/1 ethernet speed {10|100|1000}

# Configure the port's duplex for Full or Half.
/configure port 1/1/1 ethernet duplex {full|half}

# Disable auto-neg on the port.
/configure port 1/1/1 ethernet no autonegotiate

# Auto-neg, but only advertise the configured speed and duplex.
/configure port 1/1/1 ethernet autonegotiate limited

# So to accomplish your customer's request, you would run the commands (ask the customer to confirm their duplex is FULL, speed is 1000M/1G, and auto-net is also DISABLED):
/configure port 1/1/1 shutdown
/configure port 1/1/1 ethernet speed 1000
/configure port 1/1/1 ethernet duplex full
/configure port 1/1/1 ethernet no autonegotiate
/configure port 1/1/1 no shutdown

# It may be worth trying to have the customer return their port to its default settings, then only enabled auto-neg. After, set the auto-negotiation in SR-OR to 'limited;' this will allow your port to signal a 1G/FD connection to the customer.
/configure port 1/1/1 ethernet autonegotiate limited

rekeds

Post by rekeds »

for the last 12 years I haven't had issues like mentioned here. what kind of router is on the other side?

Return to “7750 SR”