7750 sr related questions

jay

7750 sr related questions

Post by jay »

Hi;

I was reading in NSR1, that 7750 SR 12 has 12 slots, 10 for IOMs and 2 for SP/CPM.

The IOMs are hot-swappable modules responsible for queuing, processing, and forwarding of data. An IOM contains two 10-Gbps traffic-processing programmable fast-path complexes. Each complex supports a pluggable MDA that allows a common programmable fast path to support all of the possible interface types. The IOM also contains a CPU section for managing the forwarding hardware in each Flexible Fast Path (MDA).

So in simple terms does this mean:

- we have 10 slots.
- each slot has IOM
- IOM has sub-slots called FP complex
- MDA (media adapters) fit into FP complex.
- CPU on IOM controls MDA in its FP complex.

Please correct me if the understanding is correct.

Please also advise me how to address ports on each MDA, lets say if i have an MDA in slot 1. How would I refer to port 10 on that MDA in 7750 SR

cheers
mivens

Re: 7750 sr related questions

Post by mivens »

No, the forwarding complex is on the IOM. The MDA only contains media-specific functionality. For example an ethernet or SONET framer.

- a 7750SR12 has 10 slots.
- each slot can contain an IOM (or fixed format IMM)
- An IOM has two sub-slots
- MDA (media adapters) fit into the IOM slots
- An IOM contains a forwarding complex responsible for queuing, processing, and forwarding of data. It also has a control CPU and memory and a fabric interface.

The newer IOM3-XP is 25Gb/s per MDA. Older IOMs are 10Gb/s per subslot.

You can think of the FP complex as just a chip on the IOM/IMM. You can see a picture of one here:
http://www3.alcatel-lucent.com/products/fp3/

Port 10 on MDA 1 in an IOM in slot 1 would be port 1/1/10
Port 10 on MDA 2 in an IOM in slot 1 would be port 1/2/10
jay

Post by jay »

Thanks Mivens. So whats the difefrence between 7750 sr 12 and 7750 cr 12?

regards
mivens

Post by mivens »

Take a look at the datasheet PDF at http://resources.alcatel-lucent.com/?cid=164728. They are quite different.

As you mentioned, the SR-12 has 10 IOM slots for up to 2Tb/s full-duplex capacity per chassis (as long as you have two CPM4s available).

The SR-c12 is a baby 7750 with no IOM slots. It has space for 6 MDAs that go directly into the chassis. It can switch up to 45Gb/s full-duplex. It also supports CMAs for lower bandwidth services like channelised T1/E1s.
jay

Post by jay »

thanks alot.

One more question, is there a way to use alcatel lucent's discussion forum? i have a general level access and i am unable to access that feature.

any ideas how to access their solution guides as well?

regards
mivens

Post by mivens »

Similarly to access the documentation on OnLine Customer Support (OLCS), you need a valid support product for the product. If you're referring to the forum on OLCS, I think you similarly need a valid support contract.
Ashhad_Hussain

Post by Ashhad_Hussain »

I have gone through many docs.

but no understood the relation between IOM and IMM. though i am new to alcatel device and try to gain as design purose.

example- in 7750 12e chassis we have 10 IOM and 2 CFM/SF. where we have 2 MDA in each IOM. FP is on the processor board.

my confusion is now where IMM is used, i did not see. and what the the use of IMM here?.

Do alcatel 7750 12e has IMM or IMM deploye in ESS only ?

if 7750 SR 12e has IMM other than IOM there what is the function?

Appreciate your answer.
mivens

Post by mivens »

An IMM is a fixed linecard. You can think of it like an IOM but with MDAs permanently attached.

You can certainly use IMMs in an SR-12e.
The main reason is capacity - for example, in an SR-12e with CPM5s, 400Gb/s per slot of switching capacity is avaialble.
But each MDA-e daughter card in an IOM-4 only has 100Gb/s of bandwidth so it's not possible to use the 400Gb/slot of capacity. Fixed cards (for example the 4x100GE IMMs) can use the full 400Gb/s of switching available.

This is an IOM (note the slots for the MDAs):
This is an IMM:

Return to “7750 SR”