OmniPCX Office R7 - Softphone Options

Ask your questions, regarding data or voice!
jonbyrne

OmniPCX Office R7 - Softphone Options

Post by jonbyrne »

Good Evening

I have just taken over as IT Manager at a company that has a maintained OmniPCX Office R7 system with 20 IP Licences.

I am currently without a desk and would like to use a Softphone for the short term, I spoke to the company that maintains our equipment and they informed me that I would need to buy a licence for this as we can only use real handsets with the licences we have.

I had read about PIMPhony Basic on the Alcatel Website and this part took my interest
IP Telephony

PIMphony can function without a phone set if it is run in IP mode: it turns a multimedia PC equipped with handset or headset into an IPset. It is a cost-efficient option for users based on remote site and also for mobile workers over a secure private connection (such as IP VPN tunnel).
from here and questions could I use this but again I was told that I would need an "Media" Licence.

Am I being led up the garden path here or is this the case?
tincho.rn
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Post by tincho.rn »

Hi. It is true. You need special licence for PIMPhony to work as IP SoftPhone. Regards.
jonbyrne

Post by jonbyrne »

Thanks for the reply. So they have us by the crown jewels then? Are there no free Softphone out there to use as the price I have been quoted is more that a hard phone,
jonbyrne

Post by jonbyrne »

Not sure if my last message got through. But are my only options pay for the Softphone Licence or buy a Hardphone. Are there no other apps I can use? It just feels that we have licences coming out of our ears but I cannot get the information anywhere as to what they allow us to do or use and anythign I want to do I have to buy more licences for.

What do

"Advanced users software license" and "additional IP user software license"

Give us?
bigmac

Post by bigmac »

This causes confusion a lot but it is summed up below;
The PIMphony sets (PIMPhony Softphone for the Basic, Pro, Team and Attendant applications) can be configured for:

- telephone + PC usage: standard configuration

- PC multimedia usage: IP configuration, with an optional handset or headset. In this case, the PIMphony IP media software licence

In essence you can use Basic in tandem with a desktop phone for free ; if you want to use Basic on its own (no physical set) you need the media licence
bigmac

Post by bigmac »

advanced user license is for a digital set
IP user is probably for an IP deskphone as normally the IP license for softphone is specifically called media license/user
rubrio

Post by rubrio »

As bigmac says, if you want to use an AL softphone (only pimphony in OXO) you will need an specific license.
If you want to try a standard H323 softphone, you may try something like netmeeting, but you will need a IP trunk license. SIP sf can't register in OXO.

Bye

Return to “Pre-Sales”