OS6450-P24 poor quality PSU?

Renkie

OS6450-P24 poor quality PSU?

Post by Renkie » 18 May 2017 10:35

Within a period of a month we've had 3 dead OS6450-P24 switches. All 3 had the same problem: no power at all and when the power cord is disconnected for a few minutes and reconnected the switch is running again for a few hours until the same problem occurs again.

It seems the PSU fails on these switches. But having 3 identical switches on 3 seperate locations going down within a month of eachother makes me believe there is some sort of quality issue with the OS6450-P24 series.

I could not find any posts or information similair to what I've been seeing recently.

Are there other users on this forum who recognize these problems? Could it be there is a batch / production month with a PSU model where all the PSUs fail when running for a few years?

Sidlahar

Re: OS6450-P24 poor quality PSU?

Post by Sidlahar » 07 Jun 2017 10:08

Hi Renkie,

during a switch rollout at one of our customers with about 120 OS6450-P24 and 30 OS6450-P48 we had problems with two P24 (failed internal PSU, BPS do not solve the problem) and one P24 with flash error. The problems with the PSU occurs within the first week, after that I have not recognized any more failures.

Best regards
Sidlahar

SuiteXL

Post by SuiteXL » 04 Mar 2019 15:21

In our network we have 7 OS6450-24, 4 OS6450-P24 and 2 OS6450-P10 switches.
They are now 1.5 years old and within a period of 2 weeks 2 of the OS6450-P24 switches 'died'.

The switches spontaniously lost power. Afer disconnecting the power cord for 5 to 10 minutes the switches will work again but they will stop after a time interval off 5 to 90 minutes. We exchanged the two switches for new ones. But 50% loss in two years is too much.

I searched the internet but couldn't find anything about this issue. Also the distributor in the Netherlands wont give me an answer is this series of switches have an issue with the power supply.

Is there anyone more who has the same issues, has solved this issue or got a solution from Alcatel Lucent?

silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Post by silvio » 05 Mar 2019 08:56

Are this switches in a not cooled environment (and sometimes the temperatur was more than 30deg? In my knowledge this has a thermical reason. No other way than to replace the devices ....

regards
Silvio

SuiteXL

Post by SuiteXL » 05 Mar 2019 09:50

I don't think it is a thermical reason. At the moment I have both problem switches at home for testing. They both are on a table on top of each other with 18mm space between them. The room is controlled at 20deg Celsius and nothing is blocking the air supply.

I also have an extra spare switch and this weekend I'm going to exchange the power supply to see if that makes a difference. (Old switch with new power supply and new switch with old power supply).

silvio

Post by silvio » 06 Mar 2019 12:43

The problem is not the current temperature. If the switch was in hot environment in the past, than it is possible that there is something broken permanently. I have no real information ... but have seen this behavior sometimes. Only replacement will help.
regards
Silvio

Pelayo

Post by Pelayo » 10 Mar 2019 15:24

Hi, first sorry from my poor english. I write from Spain.
I have had several cases like the ones you describe in this forum. I call them "Bub Power". All the OS6450 Shitches had in common that they are the version with POE, which the internal power supply gives more power and heats more. I discard electrical problems from the site where they are installed because in some cases there were other Cisco switches, which were not affected ... The problem is always the same. After a while working normally (months or years) it suddenly shuts down and you have to unplug it for an hour and plug it in again for a while. In some cases, once replaced, in a few days or months it has failed again, in others it takes more than a year without problems. Nothing allusive in the Log or the command "Show temperature" shows nothing unusual. They were all in racks with more equipment and wiring. None in a refrigerated CPD ... In some cases the replacement equipment repaired by the manufacturer presented the same problem, so it had to be replaced again! In all cases, the client has been adding more POE equipment since the initial installation ...

Pelayo

Post by Pelayo » 10 Mar 2019 15:25

I have done some tests in his day. Removing the top cover, it is seen that there are two thermally separated zones on the switch. From the half to the front is the Base Plate where I understand the sensor indicates the temperature with "Show Temperature". It has two fans (a little smaller than those in the power area) that draw air from the inside on the right. On the left side there is a grid that lets the air in to the team. The back half is where the power supply plate is located. It has the entrance of the air on the left and two powerful fans extract the air on the right. There are several aluminum heatsinks that need the air flow that is created left direction to the right. The lower and upper lid makes the components inside the equipment somewhat tight. From what I have seen, there is a problem for proper cooling. The wiring (both the one of the power supply, as the one that goes from the rear connector of the external source to the Base Plate) prevents (in my opinion) a correct air flow that correctly refrigerates the internal Power Supply. This is on the left side of the power plate, interrupting the air intake.

Pelayo

Post by Pelayo » 10 Mar 2019 15:26

For all the above, I came to the conclusion (perhaps erroneous) that the problem of "BUG Power" is motivated because at any given time the source has to give more power with worse thermal dissipation and is blocked (or auto shutdown). Unfortunately, I think that when this happens, the source is affected and even if optimal conditions of use are restored, the problem will be reproduced. To prevent this, I would open the switch and remove the cable from the external source (if it is not necessary for not equipping it) to improve the internal air flow. It would also leave upper and lower margin as well as on both sides of the switch for better heat dissipation.

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”