Disable port default vlan / native vlan

Maddog

Disable port default vlan / native vlan

Post by Maddog »

Hi,

I have an issue where a port on a switch that goes into a qinq port allows communication on the port default vlan.

By default all ports on the Alcatel have a port default vlan 1. I assume this is the same as the native vlan on a Cisco switch.

Does anyone know how to disable the port default vlan.

At the moment I am working around the issue by creating a new vlan and making this the port default but I do not consider this a good solution because if the client on the other end decides to use this vlan at any stage I will be encountering the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
devnull
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Disable port default vlan / native vlan

Post by devnull »

afaik you can't remove a default vlan from a port (each port needs a default vlan).

What happens if you set a vlan (e.g.1 or 111) and then disable this vlan?
"vlan 111 admin disable"
rekeds

Post by rekeds »

wait, what?

you use qinq? like ethernet-service svlan?
Maddog

Post by Maddog »

Hi,

Thanks devnull for the suggestion disabling the vlan does put that into a blocking state. I am still waiting to hear if it stops the cdp and lldp and other traffic like I want it to. If this works I am happy with it as I then only need to waste a single vlan to stop this traffic on unwanted ports.

To rekeds where I want to disable the native vlan it is just straight 802.1q but there are some ports going into qinq access ports but it is not always an Alcatel switch but I that it goes into so I cannot block specific vlans on qinq access ports on other vendor switches.

Thanks for the help.
Maddog

Post by Maddog »

Hi, setting up a vlan and then disabling it works well.
You can also add the port default for different interfaces for the disabled vlan so it is very straight forward.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”