Hash-control of OS6450

MicahNguyen

Hash-control of OS6450

Post by MicahNguyen »

Hi Guys

I want to enable hash-control extended for OS6450, what command I need to do?
Is this: hash-control mode fdb crc ? right?

Our sw current firmware is: 6.7.1.86.R03 GA.

By the way, what is different between GA and RM firmware?

Thanks
devnull
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Hash-control of OS6450

Post by devnull »

Your command is correct (at least for 6.7.1R04) you will need a reboot afterwards.
GA = General Availability
MR = Maintanace Release

MR contain Bugfixes for the GA Version, New GA normally include (mast of the Bugfixes and new Features).

I would always chosse a Firmware Train (e.g.6.7.1R04) and then use the latest MR Available
MicahNguyen

Post by MicahNguyen »

devnull wrote: 16 Mar 2017 07:23 Your command is correct (at least for 6.7.1R04) you will need a reboot afterwards.
GA = General Availability
MR = Maintanace Release

MR contain Bugfixes for the GA Version, New GA normally include (mast of the Bugfixes and new Features).

I would always chosse a Firmware Train (e.g.6.7.1R04) and then use the latest MR Available
Thank for your info.
I configured Alcatel static linkagg for both side of os6450 and os6860E. So I want to enable hash-control extenal for load balacing. Is it possible?
devnull

Post by devnull »

From Manual:

Usage Guidelines
• The hash control setting impacts the fabric load balancing for chassis based products.
• Changing the hash control mode affects the hashing algorithm for Link Aggregation and EMCP.
• Changing the hash mode requires a switch or stack reboot.

-> static aggs are afaik not affected.
MicahNguyen

Post by MicahNguyen »

So how can we do load balacing with Linkagg?
devnull

Post by devnull »

It will do load balancing (XOR of MAC) per default for LACP, unsure how it load balances static aggs - probably similar.
With extended you can do a Loadbalancing by using CRC.

But be aware: You will never loadbalance a single Session between two devices. You will have a good load balancing, when you have multiple devices involved. For single flows or communication between two servers it will be lot worse (if any at all)

What exactly do you want to aqchive, and why/what is it not working for you now?
MicahNguyen

Post by MicahNguyen »

Now, our customer network is as attachment file.
The connect between 2 core switch is linkagg with 2 link 1GB. My customer complain that server is so slow.
That why I want to improve by load balancing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
devnull

Post by devnull »

You have a single Gig to PC and a single Gig Link to server and now you need to increase load balancing between two swicthes in the middle?

What is utilization of the Server and the PC Port? What is the utilization of the Ports in the linkagg? Do you have errors on your links?
I don't think that hashing will improve the things. if in doubt fatter pipes (10G Links) will do better than multiple 1G links
MicahNguyen

Post by MicahNguyen »

devnull wrote: 28 Mar 2017 03:45 You have a single Gig to PC and a single Gig Link to server and now you need to increase load balancing between two swicthes in the middle?

What is utilization of the Server and the PC Port? What is the utilization of the Ports in the linkagg? Do you have errors on your links?
I don't think that hashing will improve the things. if in doubt fatter pipes (10G Links) will do better than multiple 1G links
Yes,for 2 switch only. 10GB links is first choose, and more I want to increase load balancing by Linkagg
devnull

Post by devnull »

See http://www.alcatelunleashed.com/viewtopic.php?t=20308

Depending on your traffic pattern you will see one link utilized more. Only with multiple Source/destinations the distribution will be distributed roughly even.
Even with extended hash-control. One flow will always be on one link.
I have no deeper knowledge of what "extended" uses for hashing. -> Open a SR and post the answer here as well.. just do it there should be no issue with that.

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”