STACKING SETUP

selectt

STACKING SETUP

Post by selectt »

Before deployment on site I thought is would try and setup a stacking setup in my lab to ensure there would be no issues.

I unboxed 2 x new os6450 switches and followed my course notes to the letter. THis deployment will eventually expand to 8 switches.

1. switches 1 and switch 2 installed - OS6450-GNI-U2 stacking ports in the rear
2. aware that there was 3 ways to determine which one would be the primary switch. Chassis MAC address,• Saved slot number, Chassis up time
3. I thought I would use the chassis up time - then when I place the switches into a working environment I would change the slot number to suite
4.i placed relevant gbic cards into the stacking boards and connected Switch 1 A to switch 2 B (using a fibre ) I then connected switch 2 port A to switch 1 B (redundancy link)
5. I powered up switch 1 first then waited 30 seconds and powered switch 2 up
6, both switches powered up but the stacking port LED stayed 1 on both
7. the stacking LEDs showed live on the front of both . witches
8. I checked the show stack topology on both and they both showed STANDALONE
9, Non of the links showed UP - both A AND B down
10. I checked show stack status

Redundant cable status : not present
Tokens used : 1
Tokens available : 31

in summary :

My understanding was that by powering up an out of the box switches the first up would be the PRIMARY and the second would be SECONDAY.
The Rear Status LEDs Displays link status for expansion module ports were showing live but the stacking did not occur.

have I missed anything out

thank you in advance
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: STACKING SETUP

Post by silvio »

the stacking module is 10G => XNI-U2

regards
Silvio
selectt

Post by selectt »

hi I have installed OS6450-GNI-U2 these are gig SFP PORTS, as 10g is not required or are you saying I need the XNI-U2 boards ?

The LEDs are showing live on the front of the chassis with the fibre links in (therefore showing a physical connection) A -B , B-A etc

the only question is the GBICS are non alcatel , would that cause an issue ?
silvio

Post by silvio »

GNI-U2 are SFP-Uplink modules - not for stacking. Check the portnumbers with show interface status.
for 24port-Switch f.e. you will see 1/25 and 1/26 - the SFP uplink ports at the front site
and 1/27 and 1/28 uplink at the rear. LED for rear ports are left - below 7-segment-display.
This uplinks all are "normal" ports where you can activate vlan tagging etc.
Normaly you can use non-ALE SFP (but not official released/supported). The interface state should coming up if there is an active link. You need a crossed fibre cable A-to-B and B-to-A.
regards
Silvio
selectt

Post by selectt »

thank you for your help I have ordered the correct stacking modules
silvio

Post by silvio »

:)
selectt

Post by selectt »

HI Silvio,

thank you for your help again I managed eventually to get the correct stacking ports and 10g gbic connectors. everything is showing ok , primary on slot 1 , secondary on 2 and idle on the remaining stack and the redundancy showing fine.

A few observations, if the main stack was powered down the primary takes over, tested ok. But I thought once the primary was restored it automaticatly became the primary or is that after a reload. What I found the secondary took over the primary after a AC failure or removable from the stack (patch lead). Then when I reset the prmary (old secondary) the third switch assumed the role of primary. this happened throughout my deployment whilst I was setting up. So to get slot 1 back as the primary ( as this is installed in the comms room) I hade to power the other switches (6 of them) in order to allow switch 1 to become the primary again. Hope this makes sence ?

im just worried that I will have to do this again in case of AC or fibre failure ( on switch 1) , have I missed something ?

last question accessing the switches via the web portal is fine via a local ip address, created by ip interface.

if I wanted to point my firewalls external ip address to the local ip address of the switch what port is required ?

thanks again
devnull

Post by devnull »

Yes makes sense ;-)

It is explained in the manual (Hardware userguide).
In short:
It does not matter who is primary. (apart from console - you can only use console on primary)
Set slot numbers so in case of power loss everyone get back the same number. Also lowest number becomes master.
Secondary will allways become new primary and a new secondary is elected.
There is no way of letting go of primary role unless a powerdown.
With slotnumbers configured Slot1 should become new secondary in the first election after it returns.

Management of switches should be tcp 80/443 (http/https) or 22 (ssh)
selectt

Post by selectt »

thank you
thermseeker

Post by thermseeker »

Jumping in selectt's topic, I have the following setup:

Slot 1: 6450-U24
Slot 2: 6450-48
Slot 3: 6450-48
Slot 4: 6450-P48
Slot 5: 6450-48

The -U24 unit will be permanently removed from the stack. I want to renumber the slots 2-5 to 1-4. After doing that, do I need to alter the slot numbers in all the config to reflect the new scheme? Or does it happen automatically when I issue the commands to change the slot numbers?

Thank you

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”