Multicast Issues Between 2 Switches

mperezATX

Multicast Issues Between 2 Switches

Post by mperezATX »

Hello,

I have 2 OS6450 switches connected to each other in our lab via Ethernet (no LAG or stacking modules). One is a 48 port model and the other is a 24 port model, both have multicast sources going into them and both have multicast enabled. The 48 port model is able to view streams perfectly from sources going into either switch while the 24 port can only see its own source streams. The only way I can get the 24 port model to view streams from the 48 port model is by enabling Querier Forwarding on the 48 port switch. When I do that though, the streams come in with massive errors and are unwatchable. When I swap the Querier Forwarding between the switches, sometimes the 24 port switch will show all streams with no issues for a few minutes then I'm no longer able to stream them and other times it doesn't see the streams at all. I've attached the multicast settings for both switches. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am a little new at this so pardon my ignorance. Both switches have different IP addresses, does this matter?

Thank you,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Multicast Issues Between 2 Switches

Post by silvio »

One of the switch needs in the vlan where the multicast traffic is transfered an ip interface (this is the querier). The other switch don't need an ip interface for multicast. But if you configure one, than an other than the first switch.
F.e. you have all in vlan 1 and both switches have an ip interface.
your "main" switch (like core) is the 48port. Than there multicast and querying enable.
and at the 24 port switch multicast and querier forwarding enabel. But querier disable.

regards
Silvio
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

looks to have solved the issue. thanks for your help!! :)
silvio

Post by silvio »

thanks for the respons.
regards
Silvio
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

hello again,

the setup was working fine but today i cannot get the streams on switch 2 to look good again. yesterday i noticed that i wasn't able to pull up sources connected to switch 2 on switch 1 (48 port) so i swapped the settings then swapped them back. now i can see the streams from switch 2 on switch 1 just fine but when looking at sources from switch 1 on switch 2, they are full of errors. i tried starting from scratch but no matter what i do, the problem doesn't seem to go way. let me know if there is more information i can provide to help find out what is going on here. looking at sources from their respective switches look fine, issue is pulling up sources from switch 1 on switch 2.

thank you,
silvio

Post by silvio »

Is there a different behavior after restarting the MC-server (source)? f.e. If the stream is than okay but after some minutes it will be interupted than you have an issue with your querier-settings (the mc-group will aged out).

please send Cli-Output from both switches:
show configuration snapshot ip ipms
show ip multicast
show ip multicast sources
show ip multicast querier
show ip multicast group
show ip multicast forward
(it will be fine to create a txt-file with this and attach it here)

At which ports are the MC-Sources (with which mc-address) are connected? Where are the MC-Receiver? What is the uplink-port between the switches?
Which vlan did you use for all the traffic?

regards
Silvio
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

the following ports on 48 port switch have sources: 10, 25, 28-39 then 14 other ports are receivers; port 25 is the uplink. On 24 port switch, ports with sources are 10, 17, 19-24 then 7 others are receivers; port 12 is the uplink. I've attached 2 txt files with the requested information. all traffic is passing through VLAN 1

thank you,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silvio

Post by silvio »

Hi,
second file is missing (and some ip-config commands).

But also in this file I see a lot of successful mc-traffic (show ip multicast forward).
Where there any traffic missig as you have put in the show commands?
Why there are diffent IP-ranges within the same vlan (10.0..... and 192.168.....) at MC-clients? This isn't a good idea. Did you have within vlan 1 also two ip interfaces at 48port-switch (the querier). I am not sure about behavior in this case. Best way is to avoid more than one ip interface per vlan.

regards
Silvio
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

sorry, i uploaded both files but only 1 made it, i've attached the other one here. also:
24 port switch:
-> show configuration snapshot ip ipms
! IP :
ip service all
ip interface "vlan_1_condor" address 10.0.6.200 mask 255.0.0.0 vlan 1 ifindex 1
! IPMS :
ip multicast status enable
ip multicast querier-forwarding enable

48 port switch:
-> show configuration snapshot ip ipms
! IP :
ip service all
ip interface "vlan_1_condor" address 10.0.6.202 mask 255.0.0.0 vlan 1 ifindex 1
! IPMS :
ip multicast status enable
ip multicast querying enable
silvio

Post by silvio »

And what about this questions:
Where there any traffic missig as you have put in the show commands?
Why there are diffent IP-ranges within the same vlan (10.0..... and 192.168.....) at MC-clients? This isn't a good idea. Did you have within vlan 1 also two ip interfaces at 48port-switch (the querier). I am not sure about behavior in this case. Best way is to avoid more than one ip interface per vlan.
regards
Silvio

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”