Replace a stack

Cyberurmel

Replace a stack

Post by Cyberurmel »

Hi all,

still a beginner in stacks/Alcatel.
So currently a stack with 2 Switches have to be replaced soon. (10 Gig licenses)

I have here the replacement Switches. Now how to do best and easiest Change?

My thought is to build the stack as the original 1:1 then connect via console and install the Firmware. As its not in the same net - i should give the same ip as the current one?
After that i want to copy and paste the config files to the new ones.

Is that the right way ? And how i can Transfer easy the 10 Gig licenses to the replacement Switches? - or take new and let them afterwards get free ?

Thanks for some introduction

Regards
Cyb
devnull
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Replace a stack

Post by devnull »

If the switches are replaced because of RMA and have an 10G Licence installed you have to transfer the licence to the new devices. there is a form somewhere in BPWS or you ask the Support.
The License is bound to the MAC of the Switch, hence you can not take it from one device and put it on another...

If the firmware is similar enough you do not need the same firmware just copy and paste configuration should be fine. newer releases normally don't change /remove commands just extend them.

So build the stack, connect to master & copy config. Have the 10G licences installed before
Cyberurmel

Post by Cyberurmel »

Hi and thank you ,

i already talked with the Support belong to the licences.

Another question is :

If i have to replace a Switch in a stack - is that really the case that i mustn´t config something? No Firmware or config ?

So as example :
A stack of 2 ..the first one is the Primary but has to be replaced. ok.

Step 1 - check to have a backup device.
Step 2 - disconnect the Primary from the stack ( the second is now take over to Primary? In this Scenario power supply is broke)
Step 3 - replace the broken one with the new and connect with stack?
Step 4 - the Primary one pushes the config AND Firmware to the new Switch?
Step 5 - connect the cables as before and thats it?

Thats all?? Would be really easy if so?

Thanks and Regards
silvio

Post by silvio »

yes, your understanding is correct. If the replacement switch is the same (with same count of ports etc.) than all will be okay.
The new switch has to be the same main-release (f.e. 6.7.1xxx). If the software release between the stack and the new switch has a big difference it is possible that they can't see together via the stacking ports.
regards
Silvio
devnull

Post by devnull »

also: do NOT do a
write memory (flash-synchro)

while the stack is degraded.
You may need to set the stack slot number correctly for the new device (before connecting) also don't powercycle the remaining stack member - i had the case that the "now default" new stack member synchronized it's not existing config to all other switches.

Having a backup of config ready just in case is always best pratice

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”