Filter Multicast

mperezATX

Filter Multicast

Post by mperezATX »

Hello,

Here is the folllwing scenario: 2 Alcatel Lucent OS6450s connected together vie Ethernet (lets call them Switch A and Switch B) with a bunch of multicast streams coming from device A going into switch A. Is it possible to filter some streams from device A so they don't make it to switch B? The idea would be to shrink the overall bandwidth going from switch A to switch B.

Thanks,
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Filter Multicast

Post by silvio »

If you have multicast activated in all your switches (see a lot of other articles in the forum) than the multicast will forwarded only to devices that have joined to the multicast stream (via IGMP). So this is the best way.
also you can activate multicast flood rate (at the uplinks at B from A) and limit it to your wished bandwith. This is than for all MC streams. Or you write policies to block unwished mc-streams like this:

Code: Select all

policy network group MC 239.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 
policy network group MC 238.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 
policy condition MC destination network group MC
policy action drom disposition drop
policy rule MC condition MC action drop
qos apply
best regards
Silvio
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

Thanks for the information Silvio. I would think that having IGMP turned on would be the ideal solution. In my lab, IGMP is on for both switches and for now I shut off all devices that were requesting the streams. So as of now, nothing is requesting streams on either switch and each switch has a few encoders and IRDs spitting out multicast streams. In theory then, I should not see any streams from switch A on switch B and vice versa correct? Currently I am seeing all sources from either switch on both switches and in the "Forwarding Streams" menu, I can see that the streams are still being forwarded out the port that both switches are connected to. I think something might be off. Should I reboot both switches?

Thanks,
silvio

Post by silvio »

normaly you don't need to reboot. And if your settings are correct than no forwarded stream should be visible without any receiver.
with the following you can check the settings:
show ip multicast
status has to be enabled at all switches, Querying at the switch with the ip interfaces in the vlans.

and the active streams etc.:
show ip multicast forward/group/source etc.

best regards
Silvio
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

Hello,

On switch B, all the streams from switch A are now gone which is what we want. I still see all the sources from switch B on switch A but I'm almost not too concerned about it as in the field only switch A will be sending sources over to switch B. Switch B will only be requesting specific sources from switch A.

There's likely some settings off on switch A but I'm hesitant in messing too much with the settings because I don't want to bring down the lab. I was able to finally get these 2 switches playing nicely months ago thanks to your help!

To optimize this for the field, should switch A have Querying Enabled, Querier Forwarding Disabled and switch B have these options reversed? Or should both have Querying enabled with Querier Forwarding Disabled?

Thanks,
silvio

Post by silvio »

like written in some other posts:
you can enable both option without any problems. But normaly you need querying only at the switch with an ip interface in the vlans. And you need querier forwarding at switches with MC sources where the switch is not the queryier.
regards
Silvio
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

excellent thanks for your help as always!
Hawaid

Post by Hawaid »

Hi silvio
I am facing the issue of multicast flood generated from oaw-ap-1301 steller access point . Could ypu please guid me how to stop this because it forward hug flood from core switch 6900 to firewall which destrub the whole network
silvio

Post by silvio »

In your wlan's you should activate Multicast and Broadcast ARP.
At the switch you can limit it with:
interfaces port 1/1/x flood-limit mcast rate enable
interfaces port 1/1/x flood-limit mcast rate mbps xx

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”