6860 and phone QoS issue

silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: 6860 and phone QoS issue

Post by silvio »

Are the dhcp server in same network/vlan than the clients?
Or did you use ip helper?
alcashite

Post by alcashite »

We are using IP helper to forward to our DHCP servers. We are using two Infoblox devices to provide IPAM, DHCP DNS etc. Both are added as IP helpers for each VLAN and the NTP server and name server. We did suspect it could be DHCP but can't understand why it is only affecting certain phones on 6860 switches and not other models of phone.
silvio

Post by silvio »

1. have you tested the phones without vlan-tag (so without lldp) direct at one port untagged in voice vlan? If in this case the same issue is seen, than accessguardian etc. isn't the reason.
2. If the switch is the ip helper: Did you seen any violation (show ip helper stats)? please test the same with ip helper standard (instead of per-vlan-only).
3. Next steps will be mirror-ports to do sniffer...
alcashite

Post by alcashite »

I have tested assigning the port with no LLDP config and no tag just default VLAN set to either our PC or voice VLAN and it works fine with either. Phone gets an IP and registers with our call manager system and works as expected. It is only when we introduce 2 VLANs on the port and try to tag one it starts having issues.

IP helper stats show no violations with the current config on my test switch although I believe with some previous config attempts on a 6860 we were noticing violations, not sure what this means?

I have wiresharked a phone on my desk that is connected to a 6860 with our standard config and have logs but the switch I am connected to in my office I can't make changes on as it is providing service for few hundred users. The test switch I am trying out different configurations on is at a different location to myself so not sure if I can port mirror without going there. Will perhaps look at putting a remote device on another port there to RDP to.

Cheers.
silvio

Post by silvio »

very strange.... can you test the same with static tagged port (instead of mobile port) without and with lldp (setting at phone).

If it works without lldp (and vlan activated at the phone) but not works with lldp (phone learn vlan via lldp) than this can the reason:
Maybe your phone needs two different lldp-med applications (voice and signalling) . I have seen this at other vendors also.

Code: Select all

> lldp network-policy 1 application voice vlan xxx l2-priority 5 dscp 46
> lldp network-policy 2 application voice-signaling vlan xxx l2-priority 3 dscp 30
> lldp chassis tlv med capability enable network-policy enable power enable
> lldp chassis med network-policy 1 2
regards
Silvio
dhatch

Post by dhatch »

I was having the same issue with a new Cisco 8841 and an ALU 6860.
I was able to get it to function properly by removing the lldp chassis med network-policy, adding in a unp classification mc-oui and removing the mobility on the unp profile.
This works for me:
unp profile "Phone"
unp profile "STAFF_7"
unp profile "Phone" map vlan 702
unp profile "STAFF_7" map vlan 7
unp port-template PHONE_User7 direction both default-profile "STAFF_7" classification trust-tag admin-state enable
unp port 2/1/2 port-type bridge
unp port 2/1/2 port-template PHONE_User7
unp classification mac-oui f8:7b:20  profile1 "Phone"
This fixed the phone showing up in both vlans issue, as well as the DHCP continued request. The computer works fine in the back of the phone as well.

Hope it help!

Return to “OmniSwitch 6860 / 6860E”