change from VC mode to standalone mode

almatel

change from VC mode to standalone mode

Post by almatel »

Hi All,
may you help me how to change A6860E switch from VC mode to standalone mode, I have tried to follow the Switch Management Guide but I failed.

thank you in advance
almatel

Re: change from VC mode to standalone mode

Post by almatel »

hi,
no one knows how to change the A6860E switch from VC mode to standalone mode?
regarding to alcatel doc. they said that there is many way to do that, but the have mentioned one... which is :

auto-fabric admin-state disable remove-vc-reload
but i got an error message ( the this command is not apply for this platform "A6860E" ) .
in other hand they say that when the switch booting for the first time ( or by do factory reset....means "0" configuration )
there is a prompt ......
Do you want to disable auto-configurations on this switch [Y/N]? y
I have did many factory reset and did not see this prompt,so if any one knows other way please help.

BR
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Post by silvio »

normaly there is no need to go to standalone mode. This means port naminig like 1/1 instead of 1/1/1. But with actual switches there is no other benefit. But you can do it by deleting both vc-files and creating an empty boot.cfg within working ... and reload from there.
I prefere to keep in vc-mode and to disable all the auto-fabric. with actual releases the following is the best way for 6860: delete all the cfg-files in both directories (vc* and boot.cfg). Power down. Disconnect all the LAN-cable. Power up.

Code: Select all

auto-fabric admin-state disable remove-global-config
in older releases the following commands where also necessary:

Code: Select all

mvrp disable
spb isis admin-state disable
no spb bvlan 4000-4015
spantree mode per-vlan
regards
Silvio
almatel

Post by almatel »

Hi Silvio,
thank you .
mikes

Post by mikes »

Hi Silvio.

I seem cannot resolve that VC issue: doesn't matter what I do it's still persistent in vc mode, not standalone.
I've disconnected any links to the switch; deleted all .cfg files from both working and certified folders; hit "Y" to disable Auto-Configuration.
When I go right after the restart into /working I can't see and .cfg files, either vc* or boot; the vc* files come up after a while.
I've run all the commands above, reloaded from working - and it's back to a Master mode:
Chas Role Status Chas ID Pri Group MAC-Address
-----+------------+-------------------+--------+-----+------+------------------
1 Master Running 1 100 0 2c:fa:a2:c2:5b:17

What am I doing wrong?
The switch is 6860E 8.6.189.R02

Thanks!
M.S.
silvio

Post by silvio »

Hi,
I am not sure about the newest releases if standalone mode is available anymore. But why do you wish to have such standalone switch? Keep the switch in vc-mode - this is okay. There are some special things in the first minutes after comming up of a switch without config files. But you can use "auto-config-abort" to avoid this. Please let the switch in vc-mode (as master).
regards
Silvio
MarianaCruz

Post by MarianaCruz »

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to put a 6860E24 switch in standalone mode, but unfortunately with no success.

show microcode
/flash/working
Package Release Size Description
-----------------+-------------------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------
Uos.img 8.5.255.R02 255885364 Alcatel-Lucent OS

These are the problems i have:
- At boot i don't see: hit "Y" to disable Auto-Configuration;
- The command: auto-fabric admin-state disable remove-vc-reload returns an error message ( the this command is not apply for this platform "A6860E" );
- I run the command: auto-config-abort and auto-fabric admin-state disable and it is successful although it doesn't do nothing;
- I also did what Silvio said by running the command: auto-fabric admin-state disable remove-global-config, deleting both vc-files and creating an empty boot.cfg within working ... and reload from there. But nothing works.

Also the output of the command: sh auto-fabric config
Auto-fabric Status : Enable,
Config Save Timer Status : Disabled,
Config Save Timer Interval : 300 seconds,
Default UNP SAP Profile : Auto-vlan,
Discovery Interval : 0 minute(s),
Discovery Status : Idle,
LACP Discovery Status : Enabled,
LBD Discovery Status : Enabled,
MVRP Discovery Status : Enabled,
OSPFv2 Discovery Status : Enabled,
OSPFv3 Discovery Status : Enabled,
ISIS Discovery Status : Enabled,
SPB Discovery Status : Enabled

When i run reload from working no roalback-timeout the configuration stays the same and the switch is still in VC mode.. Any idea what to do know? I really need this to work, so i would be very appreciated if someone could help.

Thanks in advance,
Mariana Cruz
silvio

Post by silvio »

Question again: why do you want to set a switch in standalone mode? Better is to keep the switch in vc mode with only one chassis. There is realy no reason for the standalone mode (but you can look in the switch management guide).

During the time something has changed (f.e. with the qestion at the start - depends of release and hardware - but also this isn't important).
If you do a lot of things in the first minutes after the power-on than it is a good idea to use "auto-config-abort".
regards
Silvio
MarianaCruz

Post by MarianaCruz »

I want to set it to standalone alone mode because I need to make the switch only working in L2, and I have a lot of commands that need to be in the configuration, like for example, configuring the interfaces only like this 1/1 and not 1/1/1..
How can I do this?

So you are saying to stop auto boot at the beginning of the switch power-on and write the command “auto-config-abort”? Or when should I apply that command?

Thanks for your reply.
Mariana
silvio

Post by silvio »

Standolone or VC is indepentend how you use your switch (L2 or L3). The very onliest reason is the very big problem to write commands with 1/1/1 instead of 1/1. Btw: I am not an developer at alcatel ---- I give you only my advice. And in my expierence there is no real reason for standalone. I assume that nobody at alcatel tests all the functions in standalone mode anymore. ALL is done in vc mode since some years. So it is the best way to use this. Maybe the standalone mode isn't there anymore .... I haven't tested it and I don't need it.
Yes, if you have a switch without vcboot.cfg the switch will start to do a lot things for the first minutes. F.e. autofabric will enabled after some minutes - also if you have disabled it before. So you can wait after the reboot for some minutes or use the abort-command at the start. And than you are able to disable autofabric.
regards
Silvio

Return to “OmniSwitch 6860 / 6860E”