Ip static route vs default gateway

Enwary

Ip static route vs default gateway

Post by Enwary »

Hi all..
My plan is to configure two vlans and Loopback0 int for management on the switch and connect the switch through trunk port to cisco router...sub interfaces will be configured on cisco router....at this point I get confused how to configure gateway for each vlan and Loopback0 int to access the switch from different subnet...I go through the manual and what I understand is to configure static route instead of gateway but do i have to configure static route for each vlan depending on router sub interfaces ip...please advise...

thanks...
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Ip static route vs default gateway

Post by silvio »

Thats why the best way is to use dynamic routing like OSPF if you use loopback0. Than the OmniSwitch will propagate the best route to the loopback0 to the neighbors automaticly.
best regards
Silvio
Enwary

Post by Enwary »

many thanks fro respond...
dynamic routing protocol will be configured on cisco router to propagate all subnets including Loopback0 to all neighbors...
I get confused how to configure the switch to replay to router interface when it received a packet from different subnet...
I couldn't find any command to configure default gate way, but I think configuring static route as below will be fine..

Ip static-route 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 gateway x.x.x.x

Thanks again
best regards,,
silvio

Post by silvio »

yes, the static route to 0.0.0.0/0 is the default gateway.
regards
Silvio

Return to “OmniSwitch 6560”