43xx - DHCP Problems in 2.5.x?

arpimentel

43xx - DHCP Problems in 2.5.x?

Post by arpimentel »

Hi,

I'm not sure if you are experienced with Data networks (usually I only see Voice in this forum), but here it goes...

I'm in a client that has an Alcatel Wireless Solution - OA 4308 Release 2.5.4.24. This client has authentication by captive portal (all users have/should authenticate by this method)

They state that there are three issues that happen frequently:

1 - The user gets the captive portal. Inserts the username and password (correctly). And then the internet access is blocked. It's like it is not authenticated.
2 - A user that was never in this network, arrives and gets authentication and access to the internet without apearing or authenticating in the captive portal.
3 - Sometimes users get an IP but can't ping the default gateway and can get access to the captive portal. I've found that there are two main reasons for this: i) the DHCP server is giving an IP that is already given to another user (sometimes a ghost user that is disconected but still in the system), then detects IP Spoofing ii) the server is trying to authenticate a wireless user by MAC, failing...

Thank you.

Regards,
AP
cavagnaro
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: 43xx - DHCP Problems in 2.5.x?

Post by cavagnaro »

I do not see data on deep level, however those sympthoms sounds very familiar to a problem we were facing at customer. Our data guy did a downgrade to solve the problem, however not sure to which version. Will ask and let you know which versions we have working without problem, unless super guru benny answers first :)
Ignorance is not the problem, the problem is the one who doesn't want to learn

OTUC/ICS ACFE/ACSE R3.0/4.0/5.0/6.0
Certified Genesys CIV 8.5
Certified Genesys Troubleshooting 8.5
Certified Genesys BEP 8.x
Genesys Developer
benny

Post by benny »

1.) Generally
At least for data equipment I never saw that downgrading was a good option. I suggest you try to upgrade to AOSW 3.1 which is definitely better than 2.5. (You might have to rewrite the config from scratch, as the whole "location" thing changes (you don't have those 1.11.21 numbers any more). (Might only be my personal opinion - 3.1 works just perfectly for me)

2.) Note
I don't think that cross-posting the same question in several forums is the good way to go.

3.) Regarding your issue
There are two ways to configure the captive portal - one with FW license and one without - do you have the FW license?

- First you have to check if your client is associated with the right SSID
- You have to see the CPT page as next step
- If you don't see it you need to make sure that the client has an IP address (is the DHCP running on the same OAW? Is the FW configured properly? Do you have the right licenses?)
- Is DNS resolving? (Check the initial roles & policies and the CPT profile) - check if the client is running with proxy settings
- in other words - a lot of stuff can go wrong with CPT - paste the (complete) config here - use the quote tag
Regards,
Benny
cavagnaro

Post by cavagnaro »

Well at that time it was because we had to run and put something on service...and waiting ofr the Alcatel patch was not a good option.
Ignorance is not the problem, the problem is the one who doesn't want to learn

OTUC/ICS ACFE/ACSE R3.0/4.0/5.0/6.0
Certified Genesys CIV 8.5
Certified Genesys Troubleshooting 8.5
Certified Genesys BEP 8.x
Genesys Developer
benny

Post by benny »

I agree - that can take SOME time .... ;)

(Even though Alcatel-Lucent is faster with patches than most of the other vendors I worked with.)
Regards,
Benny

Return to “OmniAccess WLAN 4302”