AP 60/61 as standalone AP's

Dallan

AP 60/61 as standalone AP's

Post by Dallan »

Hi

Does anyone know if an AP 60/61 can be configured as a standalone AP without the need for a WLAn Switch?

Thanks

Dallan
operador

Re: AP 60/61 as standalone AP's

Post by operador »

To provisione the AP you need the kit for comfigure the AP that is inidicated in the user manual instalation.

In there it contains the pin-out for create the cable
jmartincox

Post by jmartincox »

:( The Alcatel APs are thin(dumb) they need a switch to operate. Only the AP80 is standalone and is used for linking sites.
stunshot_DUP

Post by stunshot_DUP »

As stated, Alcatel (Aruba) ap's are thin ap's, they cannot take (hardly) any config....
benny

Post by benny »

You could use the RemoteAP function, but you still need a central appliance with correct license.
Regards,
Benny
krzysioD
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Post by krzysioD »

Don't know what is basic AP for you, but:
console cable is only avalible as a diagram (try to use attached image as schema)
you will need three RJ45, twisted copper cable (normal UTP) and a DB9 to RJ45 adapter (standard ALU one). Plus one Scotchlok like U1B.
In the middle of ethernet patchcord you need to cut unused cables: its blue + white/blue and brown + white/brown.

IIRC:
Pin-Out on RJ45 (AP60/61 side)
4 Serial TxD (blue)
5 Serial TGND* (white/blue)
7 Serial RxD (brown)
8 Serial RGND* (white/brow)

DB9 pinout: TXD is 2, RXD is 3, GND is 5.

*) on DB9 there is one GND i've just connected pin 5 + pin 8 (with Scotchlok ) of RJ45 to pin 5 of DB9 (so RGND +TGND => GND).

White/blue+whiteBrow go to ground (pin 5 of DB9)
white is RXD (pin 2) and blue was TXD (pin 3) ...
<-- sorry but this could be wrong, you should have a console diagram in your 60/61 manual.

Inside of AP60 there is very good raido chip: Atheros and some nice Access Point with 16-32 MB of ram and 4-8 MB of flash.
You could assing a IP/MASK/GW to this AP.
I've managed to use AP60 as hot-spot. But, i was having my firewall+proxy (not on AP60 :D) set, that only if you put password your IP/MAC will be authorized.
This cable is called "Aruba serial breakout adapter kit, Part Number CA-SPOE-ADAPT-3".
Use hyperterm or teraterm, or minicom, magic setting is 9600 8n1 no flow control.

Code: Select all

APBoot 1.2.1 (Apr 7 2004 - 08:54:57)
CPU: AR2313 MIPS-32 at 180 MHz: 16 kB I-Cache 16 kB D-Cache
Board: Merlot Local Bus at 90 MHz
DRAM: 32 MB
FLASH: 4 MB
Net: en0 lo0
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
You could do a thig like:

Code: Select all

apboot> setenv ipaddr 192.168.99.99
apboot> setenv netmask 255.255.255.0
apboot> setenv gatewayip 192.168.99.254
apboot> save
apboot> boot

after a good ip seting there is possiblity to ping for gateway or to ap clients...

Still: i've only done that becaouse i've had 4 of these APs in my drawer and was very, very bored... any decent AP like some dlink or ovislink is better for hotspot in the conference room or open space.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please note that at no time I will provide you with OXE/4400 nor AOS releases.
Note that it's our private time, that we spent to help you, so please don't expect complete solution for your problem.
You will need to do homework by your self.

Return to “OmniAccess Wireless Access Points 60/61/70”