dhcpd configuration for auto-provisioning

gear0

dhcpd configuration for auto-provisioning

Post by gear0 »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to configure the switch local (internal) DHCP-Server on an OS6560 Switch for enabling auto-provisioning of other switches.
The documentation states that I have to set the DHCP-Option 66 (dhcp-tftp-server) and DHCP-Option 67 (dhcp-bootfile-name) in the file /flash/switch/dhcpd.conf.

I'm able to set these two options for a given range.

Code: Select all

option domain-name "DOMAIN";
option dhcp-lease-time 7200;

subnet NET netmask NETMASK {
        dynamic-dhcp range RANGE_START RANGE_END {
                option routers ROUTER_IP;
                option subnet-mask NETMASK;
                option dhcp-tftp-server "OMNIVISTA_FQDN";
                option dhcp-bootfile-name "os6560/6560.alu";

}
}
The problem is, that I have different switch models which should receive different instruction files from the TFTP-Server (OmniVista).
The documentation states that the DHCP-Client on the switch, which should be provisioned, sends DHCP-Option 60 (vendor-class-identifier) in it's DHCP-Request.

I can't find anything in the documentation.
Is there a way to specify which instruction file to send to the switch depending on its vendor-class-identifier?
Or could you please point me to the right direction.

Any hints welcome.

Cheers,

gear0
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: dhcpd configuration for auto-provisioning

Post by silvio »

some years ago I have tested this feature with external tftp etc. Not sure if I have an explanition/documentation for it somewhere....
But meantime there is a better solution for auto-provision available. I would recommend to use this one instead of the old one.
For this you need omnivista (newest release, 10 devices for free) - and omnivista is doing all for you. There you have also a good explanation in the help of all the needs (f.e. dhcp with option 43 instead of 66/67). It works great.
Try it - it works.
regards
Silvio
gear0

Post by gear0 »

Hi Silvio,

thanks for your reply. Could you elaborate which feature of OmniVista do you mean?
We are running OmniVista 4.5 R1 Build 51. I think this is the most recent version.
I'm trying to get the "Auto Configuration" Feature (under "Resource Manager" in OmniVista) working.
From reading the OmniVista docs I also found the "Provisioning" feature (under "Network" in OmniVista) which requires me to set option 43 with sub-options 1 and at least suboption 128 for specifying my OmniVista-Server as the activation server.
But I'm not sure how to set the sub-options in the dhcpd.conf on the switch who is acting as DHCP-Server in my deployment network.

Cheers,

gear0
silvio

Post by silvio »

Hi,
I mean the second one - network>Provisioning.
Delete the options 66/67.
You need option 43 with suboptions 1 and 128.
Also you need a DNS entry "as-lite.myovcloud.net" to your OV.
#Sub-Option 1 “alenterprise” in Hex = 010c616c656e7465727072697365
0x01 = number of suboption
0x0c is the length o the following entry (alenterprise) => Length 12=0x0c
#Sub-Option 128 “as-lite.myovcloud.net” in Hex = 801561732d6c6974652e6d796f76636c6f75642e6e6574
subopt. 128 = 0x80
Lenth 21=0x15

Hope this is helpfull for you.
BR Silvio

Return to “OmniSwitch 6560”