Setting up new 6560 + stacking.

oldgrober

Setting up new 6560 + stacking.

Post by oldgrober »

Hello everyone,

I have acquired a new 6560 P48 and I try to set it up to work standalone.

I am suppose to test this switch on standalone mode, get comfortable with configuration and at a later time, stack it with an already configured stack, consisting of 3x OmniSwitch 6560 P24Z24.

Is it better to stack it directly with the others as a 4th switch or it's better to work with it as standalone?

I fear that in order to add this switch to the other stack, I have to "destroy" it and create one with 3x 24ports + 1x 48ports. Or I can add just shutdown the switches, change stack cables and power them on?
All documentation which I have, mention how to stack switches, not how to add more switches to the stack.

The switch will be added in a production environment, and this is what freaks me out! I can't have more than 2 hours downtime.
If it is an easy integration, I am up for it with help. If I need to set up everything from scratch, I will cry.

Thank you
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Setting up new 6560 + stacking.

Post by silvio »

If the new switch is within the same rack like the old 3 switches, than I would prefere to make a stack of 4.
Easiest way is to clear in the new switch all the config (delete *.cfg in working and certified), power down the switch and open the link chassis 3 to chassis 1 in the stack and connect your new switch between them. Than power up the new one and wait.....
Important is that the uptime of the production stack is longer than the uptime of the new one. In some cases it can occure that the software image between the old and new is to different. Best way is than to downgrade your new switch to the same release like the old stack.
Better is to upgrade the old stack to the actual release. Donwtime ca. 10...15 Min. But than make sure that the uptime of the new chassis is shorter (power up it at last).
BR Silvio
oldgrober

Post by oldgrober »

Thank you for your reply and what you say makes sense. Part of my job is to make server clusters but I never tried switches - Alcatel AOS included.

Stack is OS6560-P24Z24 8.7.252.R02 GA. The 4th switch is OS6560-P48X4 8.9.107.R02.
So first I have to find out through documentation how to upgrade the stack to the relevant version.

Also you said
Important is that the uptime of the production stack is longer than the uptime of the new one.
If I understand correctly, the stack is running for more than a year. The new switch for 5-6 days. What does uptime have to do and why not reload all in case the new switch somehow has more uptime from the stack?

Is it possible to join the 4th switch to the stack or do I have to "break" it and then reconfigure it?
Can you please point me to any documentation or if you could, tell me steps and commands to achieve this?

Also i guess i have to turn off the stacked switches and the new one, connect the new one to the stack as the last one (connect with the 3rd switch and then 1st), then power on switch one (Main), then after some seconds the seconds, then 3rd and then 4th, right?

Regards.
silvio

Post by silvio »

No, no, no....
You don't need any downtime for the extension of the stack with a 4. member.
You only need downtime for the update of the old stack. The way for this you find in the documention. Also you need the new software. So it is a good idea to ask your distributor/supplier for both. Update is descriped in the switch management guide (https://www.al-enterprise.com/-/media/a ... -rev-a.pdf). But also the network configuration and cli guide are important.
With the update the old stack has a new uptime from only some minutes. If you than attache the new switch (with a longer uptime) the new empty switch will copy its empty configuration into the old stack. Therby it is important to reboot (or power down) the new switch after the reboot of the stack.
If you do like written all is okay: empty config of the new switch, power down the new switch, update the stack - with reboot of the whole stack/vc. Open the VC-connections between chassis 3 and 1. Connect there (between 1 and 3) the new switch. Power up the new switch and wait.... The new switch will get the (new) software and configuration from the stack. Maybe a reboot of it (now chassis 4). At the end you have a stack (VC) of 4 and you can configure the whole stack (include the new chassis) from the master.
regards
Silvio
oldgrober

Post by oldgrober »

Thank you very much for the steps and explanation.

I downloaded the new OS6560_8.9.221_R03_GA_Release.zip https://myportal.al-enterprise.com/s/bu ... ga-release but i see I need to pay attention to the UBOOT version. The stack was purchased at the same time so the UBOOT on all members is the same. The new switch has different UBOOT.

All 3 chassis have 8.7.252.R02 and UBOOT 8.4.1.23.R02.
The new one has 8.9.107.R02 and UBOOT 8.9.85.R02.

I read in these forums (for similar model) that I have to pay attention and first upgrade the UBOOT to a version which can support the latest software release that I downloaded, but I can't find anywhere the data matrix which shows which version of UBOOT support which release.
And most important how to upgrade it.

I have 3 scenarios in my head:
1) Upgrade the stack to the software version the new switch has, so when I introduce the new switch to the stack, the configuration will pass to the 4th member.
2) Upgrade the stack to the new software version (8.9.221_R03), and when I introduce the new switch to the stack, the configuration and software will pass to the 4th member.
3) Find how to upgrade the UBOOT on all 4 chassis (if necessary), upgrade the stack with the new software version (8.9.221_R03), introduce the new switch to the VC and it take the upgrade / config all together.

Ideally I want to install the newest software so as to be up to date, so scenario #2.

## EDIT

According to AOS Release 8.9.107.R02 (GA) https://www.al-enterprise.com/-/media/a ... -rev-d.pdf I can upgrade to this release without upgrade the UBOOT.
I got hands on the latest document release https://myportal.al-enterprise.com/aleb ... ease-notes (Login Required) and it specifically says that the minimum UBOOT can still work with AOS Release 8.9.221.R03 (GA). The same goes for FPGA.

Also further down in the document, i can see steps how to upgrade. I will post updates.

Kind Regards.
silvio

Post by silvio »

In the Release notes of the 8.9R3 image you find the matrix and the way how to upgrade (image - uboot - fpga/cpld).
The mindest release should be enough. But you are correct - all the members in one stack sould have the same uboot. So it is a good idea to "train" the update with your new switch (first AOS and reboot, than uboot+fpga and reboot). Than like written delete all cfg-files and power down.
In a downtime you can do the same update steps for your whole VC of 3. You need only to copy the files to the master.
After the last reload connect the new chassis and power it up.
BR Silvio
oldgrober

Post by oldgrober »

Hello, time to connect the 4th switch to the stack. I took all necessary permissions, threw the people out of the building and.... unfortunately the OS6560-P48X4 comes with a QSFP cable which can't connect with the stacked OS6560-P24Z24 because they do not have this connector..........

Angry and disappointed feelings aside, I am trying to find a solution. I was told that I have to order a 10Gbe connector in order to connect the 4th switch with the stack and it will run as standalone or maybe get stacked.

Is it possible to connect it and stack it at all?
silvio

Post by silvio »

Oh... you have written it "3x OS6560-P24Z24 ....The 4th switch is OS6560-P48X4".
P24Z24 uses per default the QSFP-ports (port 29+30) as VFL
P48X4 has no QSFP. It uses the last two 10G-ports (port 53+54) as VFL
As preparation for the new chassis you need to configure at the P24Z24 also one other port (10G) for VFL.
F.e. for chassis 3 and 1 you use the last 10G-port (port 28) for the vfl connection to the new chassis 4 than the following command at the actual master (chassis 1) is necessary:
virtual-chassis auto-vf-link-port 1/1/28
virtual-chassis auto-vf-link-port 3/1/28

After that you can add the new chassis (via ports 53+54) on this ports 1/1/28 and 3/1/28
BR Silvio
oldgrober

Post by oldgrober »

Hello, unfortunately we still waiting for the cable to arrive.
I ordered 2x 10Gbe SFP DAC cables, though I think I need only one to complete the loop.

On another note, we have 2x 2260-24 on boxes and we ordered them without stack cables.
Do I need 1x 10Gbe to stack them or I need two to "close" the loop?

I ask because If i need only one DAC for the 6560s, maybe I can stack the 2260 with the second one.
silvio

Post by silvio »

to have the stack (=VC) one cable is enough. But for redundancy it is always a good idea to have a loop. So at the end your stack of 2 switches should have 2 cables.
BR Silvio

Return to “OmniSwitch 6560”