Crystal GW vs IP Media Gateway

Ask your questions, regarding data or voice!
junoooni

Crystal GW vs IP Media Gateway

Post by junoooni »

Hi all,

I am new to Alcatel presales.... I am a bit confused on when we opt for Crystal Gateway and when IP Media Gateway... personally, i feel using IP media gateway is cheaper and more manageable compared to Crystal gateway... is there any limitation which prohibit use of IP media Gateway and push for Crystal Gateway? If a customer need plain telephony of 500+ Analog, digital, and IP extensions combined.... IP Media GW's are cost effective compared to crystal...

need thoughts and feedback from experts....

Thanks
haroun

Re: Crystal GW vs IP Media Gateway

Post by haroun »

hybrid system :analog+digital+ip well compression is needed you should think about media gateway how many ?!etc
vad
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Post by vad »

Not easy to suggest - depends of numbers IP and non-IP users.
From my point of view:
- if in 500+ - main quantity - IP sets - you can use IP Media Gateway
- If in 500+ - main quantity - TDM sets (analogue and digital) - better to use Crystal hardware.
junoooni

Post by junoooni »

Thanks for the replies...main quantity is TDM but in this scenario, if I opt for ACT price is at least 20% more compared to when I select IP media gateway... with IP media gateway, total no. of gateways is more but all can be housed in a single 42U cabinet and i dont need to worry about rectifier and batteries... in case of ACT, the total count comes to 1 x ACT14 and 1 x ACT28 but i have to consider space for PCS cabinet, batteries, etc....

I went through documentation but I couldn't find any good use of ACT architecture over IP media gateway architecture except for they dont need patch panels and amphenol cables can be used... but the price difference kills that point as well....
vad

Post by vad »

"i dont need to worry about rectifier and batteries" - why? Do you have requirements about autonomy time (when you have problem with main power)?
For Crystal HW - 1 x ACT14 and 1 x ACT28 - Actis/ Crystal central area/ Cabinets - item Free slots in main ACT - what managed - 2? What CPU type (CPU+IO2 or AS)?

HW type - not only price problem:
- with common hardware (IP MG) - easy to connect (board have RG45 connectors)
- with crystal hardware - you can create remote/peripheral shelf via INTOF board
- exist some problem when used DECT (IBS) - all base station shall be connected to one IP MG (for common hardware)

So, not easy to say - what is better today (and not clear - what about tomorrow).
dartzen

Post by dartzen »

Also you have to use Chrystal HW in specific cases, e.g. when you need a DECT Infrastructure which goes beyond 255 Base Stations or you need more than 6 channels per station. In that case you have to use RBS, which is only possible in Chrystal HW. It really depends on the requirements of the costumer, which is the reason that Chrystal HW still exists parallel and has not been replaced by Common Hardware (IP MG).
cavagnaro

Post by cavagnaro »

Hope that day never comes... Crystal is a rock

Enviado de meu E6633 usando Tapatalk
Ignorance is not the problem, the problem is the one who doesn't want to learn

OTUC/ICS ACFE/ACSE R3.0/4.0/5.0/6.0
Certified Genesys CIV 8.5
Certified Genesys Troubleshooting 8.5
Certified Genesys BEP 8.x
Genesys Developer
junoooni

Post by junoooni »

I heard that it is better to go with Crystal if requirement is to have more than 300 TDM connections as it is cost effective... but i couldn't find this true...

If I am connecting my Common HW (IP Media Gateways) to main Data Center UPS then I dont have to think for power redundancy (i.e. PCS or rectifier with batteries)....

What i gather from above discussion is there is no hard and fast rule for selecting Crystal or Common HW, only valid point I found is the requirement with DECT infrastructure (which is rarely used in our side of the world :) people prefer VoWiFi).....

Thanks alot for all the valuable comments..

Return to “Pre-Sales”