Administration (software) for Alcatel 4400

kingkoolkris

Administration (software) for Alcatel 4400

Post by kingkoolkris »

Hello all!

We have an old Alcatel 4400 in our business.
Sadly the previous admin left without leaving anything documented and I'm the new admin in charge.

I have managed to login via telnet and ftp via the default install/llatsni account, all other system accounts seem to have changed passwords especially root.

Is there a way for me for basic administration?
I have installed the OmniPCX OXO Software V40 but can't login to the Alcatel.

Best Regards
Chris
frank
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Administration (software) for Alcatel 4400

Post by frank »

Greetings,
The OmniPCX OXO is another piece of equipment / software from Alcatel-Lucent.
It is not compatible with your Alcatel 4400.

The 4400 you have is for large enterprises. Down the road, it became OmniPCX Enterprise (also known as OXE)
The OXO you are talking about is for small business.

Once you login (telnet) into your 4400, you should see a release version displayed on the screen. That would be a good step to share with us.
Also , you can type help I think, or listtool. It will give you a ton of commands you can play with. Just don't break anything until you read the doc.
Code Free Or Die
kingkoolkris

Post by kingkoolkris »

Hi frank, sorry for being late, had other things to take care of in our business.

Ok, so when i login with mtcl to telnet it says:

R3.2-cl.712-5-q-ge-c3s2

R3.2
CPU: c3s2
ACD VERSION
realease: 4 (
bug_fixing: 4
protocol_id: 46
version_dy_hr_stat : 7

v2.3
Last edited by kingkoolkris on 22 Jan 2021 03:07, edited 2 times in total.
frank

Post by frank »

Hi,

Release 3.2 is extremely old. Probably 10 years old or even more.
You can try to look at the system documentation available on this website.
There used to be a graphical interface to manage this. But the software needed Windows NT4 back in time, or maybe XP.
It would not work on any recent machine. Your only option is to now use the command line to manage this system.
I can help remotely if you want. You can PM me.
Code Free Or Die
haroun

Post by haroun »

R 3.2 is managed by 4730/4740('4730+Accounting) under windows or NMC 4755 under UNIX Solaris (was very good machine) but you need the licence
i'm still having some cdrom for that 4730 :lol: AND WHOLE PACKAGE for that 4755 MACHINE :mrgreen:
kingkoolkris

Post by kingkoolkris »

Hi Frank, thanks a lot for your support :)

Yes it's an ancient piece of hardware, that no one ever touched in the last 5 yrs. because the old admin (25yrs in our business) left with all login credentials.
Luckily I managed to change the root and mtcl passwords via "halt"-ftp-method.

I could also launch the "mgr" application and change some wrong directory names (unexpectedly without messing everything up).

What I didn't figure out: We're planning to move some phones (4035) around, which is obviously not as easy as VoIP. I don't have a clue how to change the assignments between "physical" phone or line <-> directory number.

Do I need a specific amount of posts to contact you via pm? I can't see an option sadly.

Thanks again, mate :)
frank

Post by frank »

Hi -
yes, you need a minimal number of post which you reached (3).
Basically, this is how it works:
For a digital or analog system, you have a a board in the system which can handle up to 32 phones.
There are specific boards for digital phones, and specific ones for analog phones (UA32 vs Z32)
Each port of the board is singularly connected to a cable, which ends up somewhere in your building on the wall jack.
If you said that extension 123 is connected to this port, and is a 4035 type phone, any 4035 phone you plug to this port will be extension 123.
Basically, the extension does not follow the set. If you want to move a phone, you will need to un-assign the extension from this port, and make sure you have a line run from the PBX to the wall jack, Then you can re-assign the extension. Usually, you won't lose any settings on the set.

With Voice over IP phones, the extension follows the Mac address. Therefore, you can disconnect the set, plug it somewhere else in your network, and as long as it can contact the PBX, you are good to go.

Frank.
Code Free Or Die
kingkoolkris

Post by kingkoolkris »

Thanks thats how I thought it works in theory too!
I'll drop you a message, maybe you could give me some hints how I do this in the MGR. 👍👍
fery_s

Post by fery_s »

frank wrote: 25 Jan 2021 16:21 Hi -
yes, you need a minimal number of post which you reached (3).
Basically, this is how it works:
For a digital or analog system, you have a a board in the system which can handle up to 32 phones.
There are specific boards for digital phones, and specific ones for analog phones (UA32 vs Z32)
Each port of the board is singularly connected to a cable, which ends up somewhere in your building on the wall jack.
If you said that extension 123 is connected to this port, and is a 4035 type phone, any 4035 phone you plug to this port will be extension 123.
Basically, the extension does not follow the set. If you want to move a phone, you will need to un-assign the extension from this port, and make sure you have a line run from the PBX to the wall jack, Then you can re-assign the extension. Usually, you won't lose any settings on the set.

With Voice over IP phones, the extension follows the Mac address. Therefore, you can disconnect the set, plug it somewhere else in your network, and as long as it can contact the PBX, you are good to go.

Frank.
as I remember in this release there is no UA cards or Z32, that supports just Z12/Z24 . UA32 and Z32 support as release 4.1 with CPU5

Return to “Beginner's questions about the (4400 / Enterprise) PHONE APPLICATION or OPERATING SYSTEM”