Adding (extra) new WLAN controller

DaanD

Adding (extra) new WLAN controller

Post by DaanD »

Hello everyone,

We would like to ask you a question about adding a new WLAN controller too the network.
Let me explain first the current situation:
We have a zone with 16 access points (AP61 and AP105) with a WLAN controller OAW-4306-G. This controller has a max capacity of 16 access points.
We would like to expand our Wireless network by adding new zones too the network.

Our first idea was to buy a new WLAN controller ( OAW4450 ) with new access points ( AP 205) and replace the current controller and current access points by the new controller and new access points.

Our struggle:
We are wondering if it wouldn't be possible to keep the current controller and the current access points, and adding the new WLAN controller and new access points for the expansion. (so the new ones will be used for the new zones that we want too add to the network).

What would be the best solution? Keep the old equipement and adding the new? Or replace the old equipment? Keep in mind that we want to buy PEF-license aswell and that the current AP's (AP61) will not function with the new controller.

I would like to thank you in advance for the advice.
Kindly regards.
Daan & Jens
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Adding (extra) new WLAN controller

Post by silvio »

Correct - AP61 will not work with the newest release (6.4). But all new AP's need this new release. If you would like to keep the AP61 than you need two separate controllers without master-local-function. This is not a good solution. So it will be better to replace the AP61.
Your bought old licenses you can rehost to the new controller.
Than you have two possibilities:
1) master-local (with f.e. half of the APs terminated at controller 1 and the others at controller 2. The new controller can do central licensing.
2) or all AP's terminated at the new controller (as standalone).
regards
Silvio
lwd80

Re: Adding (extra) new WLAN controller

Post by lwd80 »

Hi,

I have the same set up. wlc1 to mange to ap64 and another wlc to manage ap205. But how i do config the wlc1 to issue client ip address to both the wlc user?

Return to “OmniAccess WLAN Switching Systems (OEM)”