8058s Dropping Ethernet Link

kerryw92

8058s Dropping Ethernet Link

Post by kerryw92 »

Hi,

Bit of an odd one but it's starting to cause me a headache now.

Have around 40 8058s phones connected to two Cisco POE switches.

Out of the blue phones are dropping the ethernet link to the PC. When I reboot the phone the pc link is re established however the phone then brings up "no tftp response"

I originally put this down the a faulty cable however testing them they are coming back fine, if I move the cable to a different port on the POE switch they will come back on fine and both the phone & pc function as they should.

Problem I now have is this is starting to be a repeat occurrence gradually taking out a port at a time on the switches, these ports work just fine for a pc connected to them just not the phones.

Phones are configured on DHCP, all of them are pingable when turned on even ones showing "no TFTP response"

I've had this happen to 5 phones so far across 2 different switches. No network changes have been made recently, first issue arose a couple of months ago but now I've had it happen to 3 of them in the last 2 days.

Anyone have any advise or similar issues happen to them?

Thanks
frank
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: 8058s Dropping Ethernet Link

Post by frank »

have you ever figured out this one?
Code Free Or Die
kerryw92

Post by kerryw92 »

Hi,

Yes reolved it in the end. After a bit of digging it was the security settings on the cisco switches locking out certain ports on the vlan after 10 failiures for some reason.

Set the port security to 256 rather than 10 to resolve for now until I take a bit of a further look into it.

For anyone with similar cisco problems login to the switch, on the left there is "port security" click into that, this will then show each port on that swtich, any that say "locked" next to them are cutting the connection to the phones. Edit each port to 256 rather than 10.

Oddly some of mine were set as "dynamic lock" and "classic lock" I could not see why there was a variance however it seems any on "dynamic lock" were the ones causing the phone problems.

Thanks,
Kerry
frank

Post by frank »

cool, thanks !
Code Free Or Die

Return to “ipTouch (40x8) issues and tricks”