Multicast on Multiple OS6450s

mperezATX

Multicast on Multiple OS6450s

Post by mperezATX »

Hello,

I was hoping to get some insight on an issue I'm seeing involving 3 OS6450s. There is a main switch at location A and 2 additional switches at location B and C (so 3 total switches). The switch at site A is set to be the querier and has a configured IP interface. The other 2 switches do not have an IP interface for the multicast VLAN and are set to have querying Disabled and querier forwarding enabled. All multicast traffic is being sent on VLAN 80 and have made sure that all necessary ports have been configured to be default VLAN 80.

Site B can see all sources coming from Site A but site C cannot see anything from site A or B; it can't even detect site A as the querier. This was working fine a few weeks ago, I went on leave then found it not working when I got back. All switches are connected via SFP. Switch C detects traffic on the ingress port but will not detect any multicast streams. I'm not sure what the issue might be and was hoping to get some insight.

Thanks!
silvio
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Multicast on Multiple OS6450s

Post by silvio »

Some weeks ago I have seen the same issue at a 6450. It was working for a long time... than no sources where seen. After update to the newest release the issue was solved. So at least udate at C - better at all switches.
BR Silvio
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

silvio wrote: 14 Sep 2021 02:19 Some weeks ago I have seen the same issue at a 6450. It was working for a long time... than no sources where seen. After update to the newest release the issue was solved. So at least udate at C - better at all switches.
BR Silvio
Thanks for the reply; I will give that a shot. Is 6.7.2.122.R08_GA the latest release?
silvio

Post by silvio »

yes - this is the newest one. Hope you suggestion.
Silvio
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

Unfortunately upgrading all switches did not resolve the issue. I did some more testing and found got some interesting results. Here are my tests

Y = i can see the stream in tsreader
N = i cannot see the stream in tsreader

Multicast generating from C
B - Y
A - N

Multicast generating from A
C - N
B - Y

Multicast generating from B
C - N
A - N

As a reminder, A is set as the querier, the other 2 have querier OFF with querier forwarding ENABLED and have no IP configured
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

It kind of seems like traffic flows to switch B and gets stuck there but I'd imagine C should still be able to get streams from A? Here is a link with a picture of a network diagram:

https://imgur.com/A66Sthy

The operator claims there should be no issues with traffic on VLAN 80 where multicast traffic should be. This is definitely a little baffling.
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

Ready to get weirder...There are 2 multicast streams at B that C is able to see but C still cannot see a PC generated stream from B nor anything from A. Talk about bizarre.
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

Situation: Have a customer with a headend and 3 remote sites. 3 of the 4 total sites utilize our OS6450 switches. There is a headend in Tipitapa (A), remote sites in Managua (B), Masaya (C), and Leon (D). The site at Leon only has a Cisco switch and we don't manage it.

For whatever reason, traffic from A where the majority of the streams are originating, are not making it to C.

They are using VLAN 80 for multicast and 81 for management. All OS6450s have these 2 switches configured. Ports designated for management have been set to VLAN 81 while the rest have been set to VLAN 80. The site A has Querier, Spoofing, and Proxying enabled. Sites B and C have Querier disabled but have Spoofing, Proxying, and Querier Forwarding Enabled. Below are some test results done at 3 sites.

PING

A can ping B not C
B can ping A and C
C can ping B not A

There is a site D that does not use OS6450, just customer Ciscos

MULTICAST

Multicast generated in B cannot reach A or C*
Multicast generated in C can reach B but not A
Multicast generated in A can reach B but not C
Multicast generated at site D can reach A, B, and C*

*Initially, streams from a site D were visible on C (both IPQC and Ucrypt) but not registering on the switch. Made some tweaks and now the streams show up on the switch but the streams only work on IPQC, not Ucrypt. The generated stream from B now works at C but only on the IPQC, not the Ucrypt. After a while though, the streams eventually stop being forwarded to the IPQC from both B and D.

All multicast streams from A, B, and D show up on the Multicast Groups list on switch C but only the streams from B and D show up on the Sources list. As mentioned, streams on C are only being forwarded to the IPQC at this site and not the Ucrypt. Eventually they do drop and no longer show up on the Forwarding page.

My thinking is there is some configuration issue on the Cisco switches that is causing communication issues with our switches but customer claims that there is nothing wrong on that end.
mperezATX

Post by mperezATX »

IPQC and Ucrypt are IP muxes. Only inputs and no outputs on those
silvio

Post by silvio »

haven't read all your posts (no time to fully understand it...). Is there a direct way between B - C via MPLS? So this isn't going through A? Is this MPLS transparent like a L2 connection for Vlan 80? Than maybe STP is blocking a port somewhere? Does B and C know about the correct querier A (show ip multicast querier)? check sources (show ip multicast sources) and receiver (... groups).

Return to “OmniSwitch 6450”