Using Rainbow without a registered telephone

Visit the cloud-based collaboration tool at http://openrainbow.com
becker

Using Rainbow without a registered telephone

Post by becker »

Hi,

is it possible to use the Rainbow App (Desktop or Smartphone) without having a registered telephone in the office? I heard it might be possible by using "SIP device" as set type for the user, but it's not working for me. For now I have to set up a Rainbow user for every extension and connect it as a tandem to the main extension.

I don't get why alcatel does this. Isn't Rainbow a kind of soft phone. It seems very weird to have a phone in the office that needs to be muted while a user is using Rainbow in the homeoffice.

We have a hybrid system with a WebRTC server for Rainbow and an OmniPCX Enterprise.

Thanks in advance!
oldboy
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Using Rainbow without a registered telephone

Post by oldboy »

100% you can use it without a hardphone, early version of webRTC required it but no longer.

Follow the docos and it works perfectly
"Be aware ask a stupid question without at least trying to find the answer first you may get a stupid answer....."
alexeik

Post by alexeik »

you dont have to create a tandem. You can create the Remote Extension only, and it works fine. Only bad situation is a dect set and Rainbow
oldboy

Post by oldboy »

No tandem at all, Rainbow as you know is designed like one number on OT, so hardphone softphone on PC , Softphone on Mobile
"Be aware ask a stupid question without at least trying to find the answer first you may get a stupid answer....."
becker

Post by becker »

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, I was able to create a new user using the set type "Remote extension" and connect it to Rainbow. However I can not think of a way to change an existing user with a set typ "4029" and a personal extension number, so that this user can use Rainbow from Homeoffice without having an active hard phone programmed in the office, as I can not set the same personal extension number for the "Remote extension"-User.

Am I making sense? Background for my questions is: I am not happy with this tandem solution, as I have to install multiple hard phones in the office without anyone using them. The COVID situation is currently resulting in constant seat-switching in the office as well as office <-> homeoffice. So if I could use my existing "Remote extension" user for Rainbow only (not as tandem user for the main set), I would just use normal forwarding and mask the rainbow user with there real personal office extension number.

Am I missing something?
Last edited by becker on 02 Aug 2021 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantinos.E

Post by Konstantinos.E »

i think there is an option on system parameters if local set is out of service the rainbow user is still working
Alca_holic

Return to “Rainbow”