Problems with IoT Devides after Reset

olaftt

Problems with IoT Devides after Reset

Post by olaftt »

Hi all,
I have a problem with hard wired IoT Devices (Example: https://shelly.cloud/ an a lot other...). The customer had five Stellar Express APs an when he had to reset on of the APs all the Devices that are connect on one AP (with the best coverage) will connect to another AP. The signal of the other AP is per example -85db so the devices don't work satisfactory but the coverage is adequately that the devices don't cut the connection. In this case the IoT Device don't work. I tried a lot with RSSI Threshold and Roaming RSSI but I think this will only help for moving devices.

Have someone an idea? On aruba controller wlan I can manage this by binding a mac address to an AP but I don't find this on Stellar.

Best regards
Olaf
frank
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Problems with IoT Devides after Reset

Post by frank »

Your issue is that if a device is connected to a strong AP and you reboot this AP, the device will look for another one available (possibly with less strength). Even though the first AP comes back online, the device will not reconnect to it. This is a normal behavior for any device usually, unless setup in the device itself that it needs to scan for new AP and connect to higher strength ones.
Code Free Or Die
olaftt

Post by olaftt »

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your answer. I know what the problem is because of that I'm looking for a work around. The software of the device has no possibility to solve this problem. Is there any possibility to bind on device to only one AP? Hmmm... I will try one ssid for one AP and all other stay in the default ssid.

Thanks
Olaf
frank

Post by frank »

Hi ,

The only solution I see would be to give a different SSID to the AP and have the IoT connect to a specific AP.
With this, you are guaranty to reconnect to the AP your are looking for, and the network still talk together because it does not care of the SSID.
Code Free Or Die
olaftt

Post by olaftt »

Hi Frank,
I'm looking for a possibility to manage this on Stellar wlan but I think this is not possible. Maybe with the ov managed ap solution?

Return to “OmniAccess Stellar Express”