Port & Interface (access vs network)

FranciscoRC

Port & Interface (access vs network)

Post by FranciscoRC »

Hi everyone,

In the last 2 weeks I´ve been "playing" with a Lab of 3x7750 and 6x7705. Coming from a Cisco world, it´s been a bit confusing, although I actually find that the commands order make a bit more sense in Alcatel.
I´m a bit stuck while configuring a port to connect to a PC, and I think my problem is that I don´t understand the difference between ports in (access/network).
I configure the port as an access and then the interface as below:

Code: Select all

port 1/2/1
  description "V5GH.17 - 6"
  ethernet 
   mode access
  exit
  no shutdown
 exit

router interface "to_6"
  description "to V5GH.17 6"
  address 10.10.6.1/24
  port 1/2/1
  no shutdown
 exit
when I try the above conf I get the error:

INFO: PIP #1208 Mismatch between the port mode and the interface type - port mode access, interface type network
For what I understand I configured the port as access but I´m not seeing how can I configure an interface as access.
Can you please help me understand my mistake and if possible what is the difference between access and network?

Many thanks
Francisco
teglin

Re: Port & Interface (access vs network)

Post by teglin »

The port is associated with a IP-routed interface "to_6" so the router considers this as a network port by default. If the intention of the port is to face the customer and operate SAPs, then it cannot also be used in the network/infrastructure mode. So you would need to shut down the port and delete the "to_6" interface config. Then define SAPs for customer service(s). It is possible to configure the port in 'hybrid' mode but then you can not use null encapsulation -- either dot1q or q-in-q would be as the encap-type in this case and would be necessary to distinguish between SAPs or IP-routed interfaces on the port.
Last edited by teglin on 26 Mar 2023 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “7705 SAR”