Help needed in selection of PBX solution

Ask your questions, regarding data or voice!
surya

Help needed in selection of PBX solution

Post by surya »

Please advice.

We run ALE OXE with 3 servers for a total of 11000 extensions all analog. The current system was purchased in 2012 after the release was not upgraded. Now the management has decided to upgrade and modify the system with the configuration of 5000 analog lines and 3000 IP. The analog lines gateways will be distributed across the plant around 10 locations. We will salvage whatever hardware we can reuse from the existing setup and will replace the remaining ones. Our PBX also has 10 PRI connections to connect to outside PBXs. We already finalized everything and got the price quote from BP. Now, Grandstream came in to the picture saying that they have a pure IP and we can serve analog lines using FXS/FXO extensions (Each extension handles 42 analog ports). The will distribute this FXS gateways around 70 locations in our plant to meet the 3000 analog lines requirements. I have few queries.

1. In my understanding FXS extensions are used to cater 30 or 40 last mile analog lines where we can't take fiber. But, can we use it to scale it up to 3000 lines ?
2. If the above architecture is theoretically possible, what are the practical issues i might face during installation or maintenance in the future ?
3. Has anyone came across this kind of architecture ?
4. Is the solution offered by Grandstream is technically inferior ?.

I was fully convinced with Alcatel, but grandstream pricing is 40% of what ALE BP quoted. So management is inclined towards grandstream. How can i convince my management that we should go with Alcatel ?
frank
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru
Alcatel Unleashed Certified Guru

Re: Help needed in selection of PBX solution

Post by frank »

You basically need a gateway to do analog <-> IP
Either solutions like Phybridge ( https://www.nvtphybridge.com/polrefamily/)
As far as I know, Grandstream have their own FXS Gateways (Analog phones to IP through SIP) with up to 32 ports I think.

FXS is the port which delivers the line to the subscriber. Basically, the plug in the wall.
1 FXS Port = 1 analog line. There is no 30 to 40 mile long story with that. Maximum analog line is 500ft / 150m.
- The same way you can have boards of up to 16 analog ports on OXE , Grandstream can use a gateway with 32 ports.
- Can the grandstream FXS Gateways run in stand alone mode, the same way you would have a PCS (if you are using COMMON HARDWARE?)
- Think about expansion

I think Grandstream is an awesome preference. You are not giving enough info about your projects so it s hard to tell you which way to go.
If Grandstream claims they can do it, it's probably true. Your project looks like this one https://blog.grandstream.com/case_studi ... eam.com%2F
Code Free Or Die

Return to “Pre-Sales”